We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bali villa scams!!!

Ireland
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Bali villa scams!!!

Any advice or experiences greatly appreciated here. Thinking of booking a villa on the homeaway.co.uk website.

Cheers

Mike

1. Re: Bali villa scams!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2014, 16:34
Perth, WA
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
5,045 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bali villa scams!!!

Before you book have a telephone conversation with the owner to ensure that it is he/she whom you've been having email correspondence with.

Perth , Australia
Destination Expert
for Denpasar
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bali villa scams!!!

The vast majority of villa owners are genuine and honest.

Try not to go through agents.

Contact the villa owners direct.

When you get the villa owners direct you will get a "feeling" if they are genuine or not.

Most will give you a telephone contact so that you can communicate with them directly.

Villas in Bali are a great way to have a fantastic holiday on "paradise island".

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bali villa scams!!!

Hi there,

Make sure you pay via Paypal. I'd never transfer thousands of dollars to an oversees account. Booking.com has lots of good villas too.

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bali villa scams!!!

Hi, Any ideas how I find out who owns a villa? The website for the one I've found doesn"t have a contact number listed and their invoice seems to be vague.

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bali villa scams!!!

Hi, any ideas how I could get the contact number of the villa owner. The one I have chosen has a web site but no contact information except a email address. The invoice has no details either.

Perth , Australia
Destination Expert
for Denpasar
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bali villa scams!!!

Send them an email and ask for a phone contact, maybe give your phone number and ask them to contact you.

I understand you want to feel comfortable and that the villa owner is genuine.

I would think most villa owners would be happy to give a genuine guests phone numbers.

Perth, WA
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
5,045 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bali villa scams!!!

What is the name of the villa you are considering? Have you done a search of the TA forum to see if it has been mentioned before?

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,555 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bali villa scams!!!

You can still be taken for a ride if you deal with villa owners, or people who say they are villa owners. There are a large number of extremely reputable villa renting agents in Bali and I think you should not hesitate to use them if in any doubt. You will also have more guarantee of being able to address any problems if you deal with an agent rather than an owner direct.

You can also stay in a villa that is in a complex that is run by on site management and you should have no problems either.

I have honestly seen and heard of more problems with villas that are rented out directly by owners than those that are rented out by agents based in Bali or that are part of a villa complex.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Edited: 27 November 2013, 07:20
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bali villa scams!!!

That's fine website to book through, some of them will forward the email to the owner directly. But if not, it will goes to the management.

Fine though you can deal directly to the villa without agents help. of course can o some special request rather than just do an online booking via agoda, booking.com etc