We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Bali, areas to stay in, and areas to avoid?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
First time in Bali, areas to stay in, and areas to avoid?

Hi TA community,

My wife and I will be travelling to Bali very soon (in 10 days) and I was trying to find out which areas are good to stay in and finally got confused.

My idea was to split our time there (8 nights) between Ubud and Seminyak. I am happy with Ubud however is Seminyak the place to be if you want to be by the beach side? and If yes, any accommodation suggestions?

Thank you very much.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
97 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Bali, areas to stay in, and areas to avoid?

G'day,

I personally am not a fan of Ubud as I love the beach but I know many people who enjoy Ubud.

I suggest Seminyak or Legian as there are many great restaurants in that area. Your accom decision will come down to your budget and any specific things you want - beachfront, suite, villa, hotel, etc. if you can give more info I will be happy to try and make some suggestions.

Cheers

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Bali, areas to stay in, and areas to avoid?

You need to tell us more about yourselves before we can begin to help you out here. With so little info, as it stands now, we would only be telling you where WE like to stay, and be unable to tell you which is the best area for YOU to stay in.

Tell us your ages, your interests, what facilities you want from your beach side accommodation? Would you prefer a large resort, a small locally owned resort, a villa? Do you want to be right on the beach or a short walk to it? Do you want to be close to lot s of restaurants and shopping? Do you want to be in the thick of the hustle and bustle or would you prefer a quieter area? Do you want a surf beach or a calm beach? And of course your budget per night?

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,815 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Bali, areas to stay in, and areas to avoid?

Hi AAMM and welcome to the Bali forum. Conversely I like Ubud, but am not a big fan of Seminyak. This illustrates Whinnie's point, we can all give you opinions and throw random resorts at you, but if you give us some more detail about what you're looking for, we may be able to help narrow down your options.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Bali, areas to stay in, and areas to avoid?

We are a young couple, I'm 30, my wife is 28.

We would like an area which is vibrant but safe, preferably by or near the beach, where the beach is nice and we can go for a swim. (i though Bali had nice beaches but apparently not as nice as I thought!).

It doesn't matter if it is a big resort or a small hotel or villas as soon as it is nice, has some character and the service and food are good, and where it is safe to walk in/out by day and night.

Budget is 100 to 150 AD a night. I booked already in Ubud in apparently a very nice resort (one of the Komenakas) so I though we can stay in a more affordable place in some other areas of the island.

Seminyak looked ok as I did not read encouraging reviews about Nusa Dua, Kuta or Legian..

Not sure about about Lovina and Amed but it looks like those two have nicer beaches.

Thank you.. :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Bali, areas to stay in, and areas to avoid?

just for those who are not currency experts, 100 to 150 Australian Dollars is roughly 100 to 150 USD

:)

Thx again

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Bali, areas to stay in, and areas to avoid?

I already proceeded with the booking:

We will be staying

in Seminyak at Amadea Resort & villas (4 nights)

and in Ubud at Komaneka at Bisma (4 nights)

This is done, However I still need your help.Now you can give all the tips and things to do while we are in Bali.

Thanks again.

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in Bali, areas to stay in, and areas to avoid?

Hotels booked, now comes the fun part. :) Have a look at our lists on the top right of page under Top Questions About Bali. There is some extensive information on things to do in Bali which should help you. There are outdoor activities, popular sights, massages, cookery, etc.

Perth, WA
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
5,018 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time in Bali, areas to stay in, and areas to avoid?

I am interested to know who you booked the Komeneka with at a price of $100 - $150 per night? Thanks.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,947 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time in Bali, areas to stay in, and areas to avoid?

The poster didn't mention they booked Komeneka for $100 - $150 a night :) they were looking for a hotel in that price range elsewhere for the remainder of their trip.

"Budget is 100 to 150 AD a night. I booked already in Ubud in apparently a very nice resort (one of the Komenakas) so I though we can stay in a more affordable place in some other areas of the island.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time in Bali, areas to stay in, and areas to avoid?

Komenaka was double that price. It definetly wasn't near the 100 dollars..