We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking precautionary medicines . Which suggested?

Which Seminyak hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canberra (capital...
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Taking precautionary medicines . Which suggested?

I'm off on 23 July, and I have scripts from the GP and am wondering if I should take any of them with me? I usually don't ever get sick, but I don't take 'risks'.

Which of these would you suggest get filled an take please?

Lomotil

Flagyl

Noroxin

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking precautionary medicines . Which suggested?

They are all available in Bali if you do need any of them so I wouldn't worry about having prescritptions filled.

Edited: 03 July 2014, 00:10
Brisbane
Level Contributor
171 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking precautionary medicines . Which suggested?

I took Travelan, 1 tablet before eating. Still got Bali belly but didn't suffer nearly as much as friends did

coffs harbour...
Level Contributor
5,551 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking precautionary medicines . Which suggested?

I do take Noroxin with me, mainly because I have a lot of allergies to antibiotics, including Flagyl. I would never suggest that anyone take Noroxin, Flagyl or Lomotil without the express say so of a doctor, or without being very aware of what symptoms you should have before you do take them.

Much of what is termed "bali belly" is merely travellers diahorrea, caused by change of diet such as spicy food, to much fruit/juice or alchohol or dehydration. For this kind of problems, eating and drinking sensibly, having some rehydration drink such as Pocari Sweat, and perhaps some Norit (charcoal) tablets & Diapet. Diapet is a herbal anti diahorrea capsule, costs about 30 cents for 6 at any convenience store, Norit costs around $1.

melbourne
Level Contributor
557 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking precautionary medicines . Which suggested?

Would take gastrolyte , and gastro stop

coffs harbour...
Level Contributor
5,551 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking precautionary medicines . Which suggested?

no real need to take gastrolyte, which is expensive in Australia. Pocari Sweat, and many other rehydration drinks are available everywhere for 50 cents or so. As are medications the same as gastro stop and for around 10% of the aussie prices.

They are so easily available, every convenience store, supermarket and apotek has them.

South Australian...
Level Contributor
736 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking precautionary medicines . Which suggested?

I disagree, I would take gastrolyte as part of a sensible first aid kit. it's different for those of us who go to Bali regularly, but on my first trip I would take anything that made me feel prepared, just my two cents worth...

perth
Destination Expert
for Denpasar, Bali
Level Contributor
3,597 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking precautionary medicines . Which suggested?

Hi Sweetdarling!

I would take instead of the scripts, hand sanitizer, drink only bottled water, and should you have the misfortune to become ill, either get the hotel desk to call a doctor to your room if you are unable to leave bathroom facilities for even a short time. Otherwise, if safely mobile, get a taxi to BIMC and see a Doctor. Ensure you take a copy of your Travel Insurance Policy and contact phone numbers with you.

Taking antibiotics or anti diarahoea (sp?) medication without a medical diagnosis, is not recommended.

Have a great holiday!!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Lombok
Level Contributor
2,903 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking precautionary medicines . Which suggested?

Bring some good quality probiotics, the sort that don't require refrigeration and take them every day and it will go a long way to preventing Bali belly

Canberra (capital...
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taking precautionary medicines . Which suggested?

Thanks guys, I will just take your advice, be careful, eat lots of my home made yog before departure and call the Dr if necessary!

fairhaven
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taking precautionary medicines . Which suggested?

We have just had a month away and as per usual we all get a little sick in Seminyak. Soundz like a title of a movie. I dont know what is, maybe the open drains, air conditioning? We are super careful, but my 10yr old spent the day really sick there last week. Befor I go I start drinking Yakult, and taking vitamin c. I take with me, diareze, diacheck, imodium, cold tablets, oral hydralyte that comes in sachets. When my husband and son started being sick in the middle of the night I was right onto it, rather than waiting for the shop to open. I also eat yogurt while im there. I think Blackmores have some kind of probiotic tablet. Might be a good idea to take.