We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Tulamben from Ubud

Vancouver
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Tulamben from Ubud

Hello everyone,

Looking into how to get to Tulamben from Ubud and whether it is better to take a Perama shuttle bus (175,000 IDR, leaving at 07:00) or private driver (sounds like it is around $50 USD) or is there another way?

I was quoted $50 USD which sounds quite steep. Is this the correct price?

Thanks,

Maggie

10 replies to this topic
Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
12,164 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Tulamben from Ubud

Quotes should not be in USD. They should be in rupiah, but sometimes people give dollars as a quote as rupiah can sound astronomically high. USD 50 is rp 664,000, which is about the cost for a full 8 hour day in a car. Consider that the driver will have to back track home in an empty car, which is why the cost as well as time is roughly equivalent to a full day - lets say 3 hours each way, without stops.

Many people, when travelling from one spot to another, choose to use that time to do some sightseeing and activiites. If your budget allows then hiring a private driver is the best way to go. You will be travelling through some very nice areas and your driver no doubt knows these well. Remember the Ubud drivers who take you places from Ubud are not taxi drivers, who just take you where you direct them to. They function as translators, ad hoc guides to the culture and potentially friends.

You can always ask for quotes from other drivers who you meet in Ubud.

I have taken Perama Shuttle many times, but not to Tulamben..It's a good budget service.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,164 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Tulamben from Ubud

I see on your other posts that you are travelling with someone else. Keep in mind that the shuttle Perama is per person. A private car is per car...

coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
8,958 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Tulamben from Ubud

We use Moyo Transport (Tulamben based) for transfers Tulamben-Ubud. Price listed on website is IDR 450,000, which is substantially less than your quote. They have a couple of cars and a van - enough to take big dive gear bags. I recommended Moyo to Pigitty (another forum member) and he also uses them all the time and has been recommending them.

moyo-tulamben.com/bali-transportation-servic…

Edited: 26 April 2017, 04:32
Legian, Indonesia
Level Contributor
597 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Tulamben from Ubud

Hi Maggie

600,000 or close to USD $50- dollars is about right for a day

There are many routes your driver may take

Just like to suggest you ask to go via Tegallalang to Kintamani, then take the high road above lake Batur and drive through to Tianyar village - near Tulamben.

It's a great ride and would be an interesting drive too.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Tulamben from Ubud

Hello everyone,

Thank you very much for all of your advice! You've given me a lot of food for thought....such as the spots we could potentially visit between Ubud and Tulamben!

It sounds like it might be better to arrange in person while in Ubud rather than try to make arrangements online. Am i correct in thinking this?

Thanks again,

Maggie

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
14,726 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Tulamben from Ubud

Hi Maggie,

As CBI suggested try Moyo. CBI recommended him to me ages ago and now I always use him for all our Tulamben & Amed related transfers. I do all my booking my email. We fly to Bali in a couple of weeks time and will be going straight to Amed on arrival at DPS. I already booked my transfer with Moyo in March. Normally contact him also nearer the time to confirm

Vancouver
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Tulamben from Ubud

Thanks! I just contacted Moyo...they do seem pretty great :)

Vancouver
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Tulamben from Ubud

Also, does anyone know how long it would take for the Perama shuttle from Ubud to Tulamben? Would it be around 3 hours as well or longer? Thanks!

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,164 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Tulamben from Ubud

You should contact them directly. It could depend on the day or other passengers, eg..if they stop at Candi Dasa or Amed for instance, when you are taking the shuttle that day.

Level Contributor
32 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to Tulamben from Ubud

Hi Maggie_W00! Did you end up taking the Perama shuttle or hired a car? Thank you!

Reply to: Getting to Tulamben from Ubud
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tulamben
More Tulamben Topics