We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving in Tulamben in December

Perth WA
Level Contributor
18 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Diving in Tulamben in December

Hi

We have a two week holiday booked for Xmas / New Year and have booked 3 nights in Tulamben for my Hubby to do some diving. I have just heard that this is the wet monsoon season. Does anyone know if diving visibility will still be ok? Or should we look at something elso for those 3 nights away from Seminyak?

We are going back in May 2011 - maybe this would be a better time to dive?

Would really appreciate some expert knowledge here!

Regards

Marnie

Mentioned in this post
Tulamben
Tulamben
Bali, Indonesia
Full-Day USS Liberty Shipwreck Scuba...
7 Reviews
from US$75.00*
Free Cancellation
USS Liberty Shipwreck Scuba Diving...
15 Reviews
from US$109.00*
Free Cancellation
Snorkeling Package at Tulamben USAT...
7 Reviews
from US$55.00*
Free Cancellation
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving in Tulamben in December

I can't speak for Tulamben but Amed is definitely affected by heavy rains in the wet season. It's really only clear early in the morning if there has been a downpour the day before. But it really is the luck of the draw if it will affect you in December.

If you are looking for somewhere that isn't as affected by the weather, I would suggest Lembongan Island instead.

Mentioned in this post
Tulamben
Tulamben
Bali, Indonesia
Amed
Amed
Abang, Indonesia
Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
11,874 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving in Tulamben in December

Tulamben is on the drier North side of Bali. While it's entirely possible it will be very rainy, you just have to wait and see what happens. Lembongan is much more affected by winter weather, in my opinion. I almost got swept away by high tides once and the boat I was on had a hard time getting to me as the winds were pushing him away. May should for sure be a drier time of year. I also suggest Pemuteran to snorkel at Menjangan Island in the North. Lembongan will have more organized water sports, though.

Mentioned in this post
Tulamben
Tulamben
Bali, Indonesia
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Pemuteran
Pemuteran
Gerokgak, Indonesia
Menjangan Island
Menjangan Island
1,652 Reviews
Pemuteran, Indonesia
Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
22,571 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diving in Tulamben in December

We have been in Candidasa for the past wo Decembers and just as Whinnie says, some days it will be perfect and then there will be a downpour and the rivers/creeks will run and bring lots of debris down to the sea.

I would still go to the area and enjoy that lovely part of Bali...if you get to dive, then that's a bonus.

Mentioned in this post
Candidasa
Candidasa
Karangasem, Indonesia
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Java, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diving in Tulamben in December

You should be alright diving between 10 and 12 in the morning.

5. Re: Diving in Tulamben in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2011, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Tulamben