We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency Changer in Tulamben Area

Which Tulamben hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
24 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Currency Changer in Tulamben Area

Hi,

Is there any currency changer in Tulamben area?

I am planning to stay there for 9-10 Days. Where I can get the motor cycle in rental?

Thanks,

Peter

8 replies to this topic
coffs harbour...
Level Contributor
5,356 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency Changer in Tulamben Area

Peter, there are no proper/authorised money changers in Tulamben, although there is now an ATM opposite the Wayan supermarket. A couple of the dive shops/hotels have signs saying that they change money, but I have no experience with them. Also, please note that the ATM sometimes runs out of money, especially on a weekend or holiday.

Not sure about motor bike hire, but you could ask at Wayan supermarket, and there are also often people on the main road offering transport who might be able to help you. Your hotel might also be able to help you.

If you intend to rent a motor bike, please make sure you have a licence to ride in Bali and also that your travel insurance will cover you in case of an accident.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
24 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency Changer in Tulamben Area

Hi Cbimages,

Thanks for your prompt response. I'll be arriving on DPS at midnight and going to Tulamben directly from the airport. I believe in the airport I won't be getting good rate.

Is there any place which is on the way to Tulamben, where I can exchange the currency?

Thanks,

Peter

coffs harbour...
Level Contributor
5,356 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency Changer in Tulamben Area

Peter, I don't think any money changers will be open after midnight, and certainly not on the road to Tulamben. If you don't want to withdraw multiple times from the ATM, you may have to settle for the lesser rate at the airport. Or, if you do rent a motor bike, you could go to Amlapura and change at one of the banks - but it is quite a long way and the road is not very good.

Also, goods at the supermarket/shops in Tulamben are a lot more expensive than elsewhere, so we always stock up on snacks, water, mosquito sprays etc before we go.

If it is possible, suggest you consider overnighting in a cheap hotel near the airport, then stopping at a good money changer and supermarket on the way to Tulamben the next morning.

It is a long trip to Tulamben, and the roads are very steep and winding in places - I would not like to travel there in the middle of the night. We always overnight in Sanur and go up the next day.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
24 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency Changer in Tulamben Area

Thank you cbimages, these are helpful information for travel to Tulamben. But I can't stay Sanur/Kuta on my arrival day, I have to join the course on next day morning.

Amlapura, option looks good to me.

coffs harbour...
Level Contributor
5,356 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency Changer in Tulamben Area

Peter, have I got this right? You're arriving at DPS midnight, so will probably get out of the airport arount 1am, then will transfer to Tulamben? If so, you'll arrive Tulamben around 3.30-4am and check in to your hotel. Do you really intend to start a dive course with just a couple of hours sleep?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
24 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency Changer in Tulamben Area

Hi cbimages,

Yes, you are right and I understand your concern. I'll be joining the course around at 10:30 AM.

Thanks,

Peter

London
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Currency Changer in Tulamben Area

Are you doing the open water or something more advanced? Why don't you start the course the day after you arrive?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
24 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Currency Changer in Tulamben Area

Hi Karen,

I am doing advance course. I keep 1 day whole in my travel plan for bubbles. If I start my course next day, then 'no fly' will be very short. That's why I want to join the course on the same day I am arriving.

Thanks,

Peter

Reply to: Currency Changer in Tulamben Area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tulamben
Recent Conversations
More Tulamben Topics