We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medan Kualanamu Airport to Berestagi

Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Medan Kualanamu Airport to Berestagi

I am trying to understand our options to get from Medan airport (arrive 11am) to Berastagi. Any help or clarification would be appreciated. Have a 5 month old baby with us.

1-prebooked car for about 600 000 (seems expensive for a 2 hour trip?!?)

2-taxi or bus to Pinang Baris bus terminal (is this the right terminal?) then tourist bus/van to Berastagi. Can we just hop on the next bus or do they need prebooking? How often do they run? Cost? Are the windows able to be open so less cigarette smoke breathed?

3-public bus from bus terminal-cheap but difficult with baby I think as cramped, etc

4-is it possible to get a shared taxi from the airport or Medan to Berastagi? If so how do I organise this? Pre book? Turn up somewhere and wait? Cost?

Thanks

9 replies to this topic
london
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Medan Kualanamu Airport to Berestagi

I think you can get a taxi direct from the airport on the meter. I don't think it would be as much as 600,000rp, bit longer than 2 hours though!!!

You don't want Pinang Baris, it's the wrong side of the city. If you go by taxi you should ask them to take you to Padang Bulan. Or by public bus to Amplas.

I've a feeling there are some direct buses now Berastagi - Kuala Namu, but I'm not sure how frequent.

Personally I would take a private car all the way there!

Medan
Level Contributor
965 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Medan Kualanamu Airport to Berestagi

yes the terminal you want to go to is padang bulan or amplas. but be want there are no tourist bus or anything that remotely qualified to be called one. the bus to berastagi is for those with adventure close to their heart only.

there are absolutely no telling if the window can be open or not, its a total gamble.

with a baby on tow i would also take private car. the 600.000 should be an all day cost and not just one way. there are plenty of private driver (regular citizen that jump on the new airport bandwagon to earn extra cash) all over the airport, if you ask around you will find them

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Medan Kualanamu Airport to Berestagi

Hey Queenoftopaz,

Let me try to give you some information.

>>>1-prebooked car for about 600 000 (seems expensive for a 2 hour trip?!?)

It's more than 2 hours including the traffic. If this car take you straight to Berastagi with at least 3 persons on board, then it is cheap and the convenient for you.

>>>2-taxi or bus to Pinang Baris bus terminal (is this the right terminal?) then tourist bus/van to Berastagi.

If you take Taxi, better to Padang Bulan. If you use "Damri", then they could drop you off in Pinang Baris. But I wouldn't suggest you to go to Pinang Baris.

There is official bus from Airport (Kuala Namu) to the city. The bus is DAMRI. The ticket is IDR 15k - 25k per person (I forgot the actual rate). They will drop you off in Plaza Medan Fair. From there, you can take taxi to Pdang Bulan (cost around 30K IDR).

The problem is the bus to Berastagi. As you travelling with infant, better to pay "taxi" with little bit more expensive than normal buses. The approximate ticket to Berastagi is 15k - 20k.

>>>>>3-public bus from bus terminal-cheap but difficult with baby I think as cramped, etc

explained above

>>>>>4-is it possible to get a shared taxi from the airport or Medan to Berastagi? If so how do I organise this? Pre book? Turn up somewhere and wait? Cost?

It is possible as well. But the regulated taxi will not take you out of the city. It is special "taxi". Just like normal car, so you should bargain to the driver.

Let me know if my answer wasn't clear. Mind my bad English

Cheers

Edited: 02 July 2014, 16:28
jakarta
Level Contributor
666 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Medan Kualanamu Airport to Berestagi

Hi Queenoftopaz. In April this year my 3 friends got private car transfer cost them 380.000 total from KNIA to Brastagi.

5. Re: Medan Kualanamu Airport to Berestagi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2014, 22:43

Samosir
Level Contributor
427 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Medan Kualanamu Airport to Berestagi

When this thread started on June 27 I had in mind to respond, but one way or the other, it just did not happen, also busy with other questions of Queenoftopaz, such as where to find tea plantations and factories in the Sidamanik area. Not to speak of the Siantar Zoo and bumping into each other in Awai Restaurant.

My first response to the first post in this thread would have been:

I think Rp 600.000,-- for a private car, with a driver who is also keeping the safety of your baby in mind, is not bad at all also keeping in mind that it is not a two hours ride but more likely a 3.5 to 4 hrs ride.

How stupid I could be now knowing that regular prices are according to the information in the posts above only Rp 380.000,-- or Rp 450.000,--

I am afraid that the above most valuable information comes too late for Queenoftopaz, last week July 1 already in Siantar on his way to Berastagi via Sidamanik. Ref:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294231-i9609-k759…

Could be interesting to read reports of guests, apart from some regular posters here, having done the trip themselves from Kualanamu to Berastagi with private car, with baby on board, and English speaking driver for something in the order of Rp 400.000,--.

Meanwhile, I have just this afternoon, around 15.00 h, happily landed with a delay of 2 hours, in Medan, and have meanwhile found the Food and Gourmet Market, at Lippo Plaza. Don’t you worry, with this place now just around the Corner, Medan is the place for me.

The two hours delay was for reason that the driver of the first ferry, the 06.45 h ferry from Tuk Tuk to Parapat, maybe for celebrating Sunday during Ramadan, decided to have a sleep in and therefore, cancelled the trip. Unfortunately, the driver of the second ferry, the 07.45 h ferry decided to follow the example of this morning’s first ferry man. Therefore, we boarded only the ferry of 08.45 h from Tuk Tuk to Parapat. For us only a two hours delay arriving in Medan. But a little bit ‘death and panic’, for the guests which had also in mind the 06.45 h ferry and with a private chartered car having just enough time to catch their 12.00 h flight out of Medan. So their revised plan must have been to start in Parapat at 10:00 h and reach the airport within two hours.

So far to days report from a Very Happy Camper in Medan.

LISOI ! LISOI !! LISOI !!!. WELCOME TO LAKE TOBA.

Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Medan Kualanamu Airport to Berestagi

Thanks for all the help. We ended up catching a bus from Medan airport but can't remember all the details now. I think it was all too overwhelming :) The guy at the airport information counter was very helpful-he wrote down exactly where we had to get buses to/from. We had hoped to catch the bus listed on the airport website to Karbanjahe but apparently it no longer runs.

The airport bus was just ouside the terminal and easily found. It was 12500rp per person on an a/c mini bus (no smoking!) to somewhere about an hour away (started with G) where we got off in the middle of nowhere, walked about 50m up the road and somehow ended up on another local mini bus that took us to Berastagi for 10000 pp. This trip took about 2 hours and was better than I had expected, despite the smoking and rally car driver, as the trick is to pick a seat near a window then guard the window with your life. Certainly a cheap way to travel and meet the locals.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Medan Kualanamu Airport to Berestagi

glad to hear that you made it.

Malaysia
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Medan Kualanamu Airport to Berestagi

Hi alamsyah..im trying to reach you yahoo email but its shos invalid email..kindly give your email or PM me need transport from Kuala Namu to Berastagi

Than k you

Reply to: Medan Kualanamu Airport to Berestagi
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted