We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanbyuzayat Cemetery

Beverley, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Thanbyuzayat Cemetery

Hello,

I have recently found out that my grandfather is buried in Thanbyuzayat Cemetery (he was a POW in WW2). I am looking into planning a trip there with my mum (his daughter, who is in her early 70s). After reading a few reports etc about the conditions of roads and trains. I am wondering how would be best to get there? I am thinking along the lines of hiring a driver/guide from Yangon and staying in Mawlamyine (Moumein - are they the same place?)a couple of nights, is that the closest place to stay for the cemetery?

We would also spend a few nights in Yangoon to do some sight seeing.

With my mum's age, and she doesn't like the heat very much, we would need a/c in cars and hotels.

We are thinking of travelling in Feb 2013, hoping for cooler that time of year.

This is all in the early planning stage so any help and advice would be most welcome.

Thank you

Rachel

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,083 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanbyuzayat Cemetery

You can hire an air-conditioned car in Yangon and it is about 6 hours to Mawlamyine from Yangon.

australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanbyuzayat Cemetery

Rachel,

Am travelling to the War Cemetery in January 2012.

This website may give you some info if you have already not stumbled on the site.

www.mawlamyine.com/index.php…

I also have further info. on where to stay etc. from someone who has been there but unfortunately it is in too "safe a place" in my laptop.

Should I find it will send on to you.

Geoff, Brisbane

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,875 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanbyuzayat Cemetery

These might be useful as they have maps and itineraries. It also might be worth contacting them as they may be able to make recommendations on local Agents who could make arrangements for you.

poppy-travel.com/Tours/…93_A_Pilgrimage_Tour

http://www.burmastar.org.uk/thanbyuzayat.htm

There are Australian equivalents of these organisations.

Yangon
Level Contributor
376 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Thanbyuzayat Cemetery

Yangon-Kyaikhtiyo-Pa-an-Mawlamyine-Yangon (7Days, 6Nights)

This is new tour itinerary ( Mudon , Thanbyuzayat-sightseeing is included )

Air-coned Car cost will be at least -one way $170

Tourist Guide Fees is $25 per day

Mawlamyine Attran Hotel will be nice

With Regards

Judy

Beverley, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thanbyuzayat Cemetery

Thank you all for your help, that's fantastic, I will start looking into all of these this evening.

Kind regards

Rachel

Yangon (Rangoon...
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Thanbyuzayat Cemetery

What about the Bus?. You can take by bus, this is cheapest transportation in Myanmar. You can save your money. Every high way bus are with A/C and comfortable way to travel in Myanmar now.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thanbyuzayat Cemetery

Earlier this year I visited this cemetery and found it to be in excellent condition. The entrance is not on the main road but you make a left turn a little further up the road. The road is not in the best condition and is narrow. There are other interesting things to do in the area .Last time in Yangon I used a travel guide by the name of Shwe Min. His English is excellent and he provided a good car and driver, well worth it. He has a website www.guideinmyanmar.co.cc. email guideinmyanmar@gmail.com

phone nr: +95(0) 973134329

8. Re: Thanbyuzayat Cemetery

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 December 2011, 12:05
9. Re: Thanbyuzayat Cemetery

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 June 2013, 09:05
10. Re: Thanbyuzayat Cemetery

Removed on: 30 June 2013, 09:05
Get answers to your questions about Mawlamyine