We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit Thanbyuzayat War Cemetery

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Visit Thanbyuzayat War Cemetery

My husband and I would like to make the trip to visit his Fathers POW grave at Thanbyuzayat Commonwealth War Cemetery, we are both early 70's and would like to do it on a budget.

We are traveling from Melbourne to Bangkok- Bangkok to Yangon the rest we are not sure of and would appreciate any advice from other travellers who have done this trip regarding best transport ,visas, no of days required to get there etc. Look forward to hearing from you

Marlene Wilson

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
15,176 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit Thanbyuzayat War Cemetery

The best way to get there is by private car and driver to Moulmein, an overnight stop and then a visit to Thanbyuzayat.

cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/…20CEMETERY

This also useful

roll-of-honour.org.uk/Cemeteries/…

Your route also passes the main CWGC which is some 45 minutes from Yangon airport.

cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/…20CEMETERY

I would suggest you contact a local Agent to construct an itinerary for you but before you do that you will need to decide whether you just want to take in the CWGC and Yangon or extend to go the Bagan.

If the former then a leisurely 5 night tour would suffice,extended to 7 nights to include Bagan.

yangon
Destination Expert
for Bagan
Level Contributor
555 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit Thanbyuzayat War Cemetery

Thanks for visiting dead railways of old Burma,

The budget way is by bus and is easy.

Or by private car.

3. Re: Visit Thanbyuzayat War Cemetery

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 20:05
Edited: 28 October 2012, 20:05
4. Re: Visit Thanbyuzayat War Cemetery

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 20:05
Edited: 28 October 2012, 20:05
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit Thanbyuzayat War Cemetery

Well we have not long returned from our trip to my Husbands Fathers Grave at Thanbyuzayat War Cemetery . We flew to Bangkok where we obtained our Visa to Myanmar, flew to Yangon stayed at Clover Hotel which was very comfortable with excellent Restaurant, travelled 11hours by train to Mawlamyine stayed at Cinderella Hotel which was very good clean comfortable also good Restaurant and service. We hired a Car and driver to take us to Thanbyuzayat which is about 90min drive. We found communication a slight problem throughout Myanmar but they are trying. On reverse trip to Yangon we decided to go by bus which was only 6hours and a lot more comfortable. Our trip was 13days all up but very successful due to advice from other travellers on trip adviser. At our age we probably won't be doing it again. Marlene Wilson

Geelong, Vic
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit Thanbyuzayat War Cemetery

Hi Marlene,

Although I have just read your post re your trip to Thanbyuzayat, I would be interested in hearing more about your experience in Myanmar. I have an uncle buried in this same cemetery; am of a similar age to yourself and your husband, and have wanted to make the trip for a long time. If it is possible, I would be very interested in your travel experiences.

Regards,

Ron Skinner

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
15,176 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visit Thanbyuzayat War Cemetery

Not sure whether she will pick up your post.

Best to send her a PM-do this by clicking on her name then in her profile page,left side, you will see "Send a message"

Hope this helps

SS

Geelong, Vic
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Visit Thanbyuzayat War Cemetery

Thank you! Will do so.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visit Thanbyuzayat War Cemetery

To Ron Skinner, Iam happy to answer any questions regarding trip to Thanbyuzayat Cemetery,

Marlene Wilson

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visit Thanbyuzayat War Cemetery

The only problem we found was getting off train at Mawlamyine, the train pulled into the platform but everyone gets off on the other side which was a good metre to the rail tracks from the train which wasn't easy then you have to get back up onto the platform on that side and to make matters worse it was almost dark 6.30pm. There were plenty of taxies which are Utes with planks each side to sit and rails to hang on, here the roads seem ok but lots of pot holes which they seem to try to dodge making rather rough trip, thank goodness it wasn't too far to our hotel

Here in Mawlamyine we stayed at the Cinderella which is very cheap (check on Agoda) but oh so good, I highly recommend to stay here didn't see anywhere else I would rather stay the only thing there are stairs ( which could be a problem for some of us oldies) The hotel has a Restaurant with equally good food , we ate all meals here. Reception staff were very helpful sometimes took awhile to understand what we were asking, but they booked our car and driver to take us to Thanbyzayat cost 60US for the day and a Guide extra 30US, we didn't worry about a Guide.

Thanbyzayat is the end of the Burma/Siam railway linking Thailand and Burma and is about 60km out of Mawlamyine the road was good we went early April, a very pleasant trip lots of small Villages and Pagodas on the way, our driver pointed out several places of interest on way, the trip took about 1 hour. We arrived at Cemetery at first I wasn't sure it was the right place didn't quite look same as on internet. we already had Bernie's Dads grave row and lot number which we obtained from RSL and also checked on internet (Find a Grave Thanbyzayat War Cemetery) There is a house at entrance to Cemetery the man there speaks good english, he directed a young man to take us directly to grave. We spent some time here it was very emotional especially for Bernie , so so many graves and so young . I also mentioned to the man at entrance house that e wanted to visit Museum and he instructed our driver in their language to take us to the Death museum.

Death Museum is just out of Thanbyzayat town centre there is a piece of the Railway track and an original Locomotive donated by Japanese. The driver then took us to a place with large Wrought Iron Gates and a very run down building their were no signs indicating what it had been and we still don't know from here we drove back to town to a large tin roof Rest House Zobbu which is named after a structure which existed when it was the Western Terminus of the Death Railway built by prisoners. From here we headed back to Mawlamyine. We spent another day looking around lots of beautiful Pagoda's, we also asked the hotel about the bus back to Yangon which they booked for us for the next morning 8.30am. Cost 10,000kyat. The bus trip was much more comfortable took only 6 hours had only one stop food and fruit was available for purchase from Restaurant and stalls we chose fruit. we arrived mid afternoon at Yangon Bus Terminal which was exceptional busy, caught a taxi back to our hotel The Clover for another day before returning to Bangkok. All up we had 4 nights Holiday Inn, 2 nights Clover, 3nights Cinderella, 1 night Clover, 3 nights Holiday Inn.

Marlene Wilson

Get answers to your questions about Mawlamyine