We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mawlamyine extension

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Mawlamyine extension

We are leaving on Wednesday 21 November and doing the usual Inle Lake / Mandaly/ Bagan route, hoping to spend the last week in Sittwe / Mrauk U but have changed out plans due to the current situation.

We plan to take the bus and/or train Yangon / Mawlamyine / Yangon - can anyone give me a guide price on what this would cost as our tour agent has quoted a figure far higher than expected.

Agent has suggested using this Nanthar Phyu Hotel in Mawlamyine but I can't find any reviews. Does anyone know anything about it?

Any advice gratefully received!

London, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mawlamyine extension

Please check out www.mawlamyine.com for contacts of the hotels in Mawlamyine. Perhaps you can book for Mawlamyine extension by yourself in Yangon. Overnight bus would be around 10 - 15 $ per person each way. You can buy the tickets near Aung San stadium in Yangon. Train will be cheaper and slower.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mawlamyine extension

Thanks for the reply - have already checked out the web site you suggested but was, perhaps naively, hoping we could arrange some accommodation before we left the UK. We are hearing stories that rooms are in very short supply - is this true even in Mawlamyine? We are not youngsters and really don't want to be trudging round town looking for somewhere to stay. Have sent off a couple of emails to hotels on the site and will await their response. In the meantime, do you have any other helpful advice?

Thanks again.

London, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mawlamyine extension

I really don't think Mawlamyine will be that crowded (my parents live there). Since you are leaving on Wednesday and Mawlamyine will be last part of your trip, you should be able to book a room if you call Mawlamyine hotels as soon as you arrive in Yangon.

If that fails, post here or pm me your budget, arrival date and length of stay in Mawlamyine. I can call my brother there to get a hotel room for you. (just helping/no fee or charges or commisions )

Singapore
Level Contributor
57 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mawlamyine extension

Hi, thank you for your tips on Mawlamyine. I hope to have enough time to make it there on my upcoming trip. Can I ask if there is any bus that goes from Yangon to Mawlamyine in the daytime, rather than at night? Or a train that does in daytime? I would prefer to be able to look at the countryside rather than travel at night. By the way, there is a road in Singapore named Moulmein Road :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mawlamyine extension

There are daytime buses and trains from Yangon to Mawlamyine or the other way round.

Singapore indeed has some roads named after the places of Myanmar such as Rangoon road, Mandalay road etc...

Edited: 07 January 2013, 06:15
Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mawlamyine extension

There is a train at about 7:15am - takes somewhere between 8 and 12 hours - details of our Nov trip which included Mawlymyine here tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294190-i9408-k597…

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mawlamyine extension

Hmu H - apologies for not replying sooner - we have just noticed your reply after being alerted to zentraveller8's request. If we had seen it sooner we would most certainly have taken you up on your very kind offer to find us some accommodation! We did arrange a room at the Cinderella Hotel whilst we were in Myanmar and it was wonderful - highly recommended.

We debated whether to take the daytime train or bus to Mawlamyine and most reports said the train was uncomfortable and unreliable so bus was better. Two people we spoke to had taken the train and had thoroughly enjoyed the trip. We took the bus which was fine - comfortable seats and a rest stop half way through the journey and our hotel arranged the tickets for us.

The train station is more convenient as it is in the centre of Yangon whereas the bus station does require a taxi ride.

I think if we were to do it again we would make the outward journey by train and the return by bus

London, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mawlamyine extension

No worries. I figured you either found accommodation for Mawlamyine alright or didn't have internet connection. I am looking forward to your trip reports. So, if you have time, please...

The following youtube link is from someone who went to Mawlamyine by train. It's worth checking out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddHJvdTVRAo

9. Re: Mawlamyine extension

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2015, 01:15
Get answers to your questions about Mawlamyine