We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suspicious reviews on the Lewis Grand Hotel Angeles

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
25,664 posts
2,079 reviews
Save Topic
Suspicious reviews on the Lewis Grand Hotel Angeles

I stayed at this hotel and quite enjoyed my stay. But for the benefit of T/A members I want reviews to be legitimate.

I am suspicious of the latest reviews. Many are 1 review wonders ranking 5 out of 5 for every category. This hotel has jumped many rankings of late. The last 6 reviewers have made only 1 contribution and ranking the hotel 5 out of 5.

What do others think?

Tommo

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,182 posts
2,163 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suspicious reviews on the Lewis Grand Hotel Angeles

Tommo, if it walks like a duck and quacks like one, it probably use.

You can now report suspicious reviews to TA through an option available on each review.

Please do so.

I will also read these reviews and see what I can deduce.

First-time contributors can sometimes be effusive (for instance, their honeymoon may have gone exceedingly well) but I agree that several reviews that rank every aspect of a hotel '5 out of 5' is bordering on the impossible if not the improbable.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,182 posts
2,163 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suspicious reviews on the Lewis Grand Hotel Angeles

Tommo, I have now had a squiz at these reviews.

The potentially suspicious ones appear to emanate from the USA - not the first choice of a 'scammer' or 'fake reviewer' - but this may merely indicate that non-genuine review organisers are becoming cannier.

I will send a message to TA staff: please also contact TA.

TA is likely to have access to tools such as tracing IP addresses from where the reviews originated. I do not have such access.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,664 posts
2,079 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suspicious reviews on the Lewis Grand Hotel Angeles

Thanks Victorialad

I have already reported to T/A as potentially suspicious reviews.

Its also an issue on the Hanoi Vietnam forum and the Yangshuo China forum.

Tommo

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Yangshuo County
Yangshuo County
Guangxi, China
Ferntree Gully...
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suspicious reviews on the Lewis Grand Hotel Angeles

Tommo, that was what I was referring to in my "Reviews we can trust" thread! Looks dodgy to me. They say they are from all over the place, but when we sign up for TA we can say we come from anywhere!

It seem a pity because as you said ,the hotel is ok, but when I see these kind of posts up it makes me suspicious, they are shooting themselves in the foot!

Lindy.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,664 posts
2,079 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suspicious reviews on the Lewis Grand Hotel Angeles

Marilynjoy

Generally most reviews are legitimate and if not they can generally be picked up by alert members. Fake reviews generally stick out. That is if all of a sudden you get a lot of 1 review wonders ranking a hotel 5 out of 5 in all areas such as Value, Rooms, Location, Cleanliness, Service, and Sleep Quality in a short space of time when the history of the hotels reviews is a mixed bag. A hotel usually gets marked down somewhere.

As a rule of thumb stick to reviewers who have contributed multiple times. The odd bad review I generally disregard as it is someone with a gripe or someone who has had bad luck. No place is perfect and is bound to get a negative review some time. Providing the majority of reviews are positive that is generally a good sign.

Tommo

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,182 posts
2,163 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suspicious reviews on the Lewis Grand Hotel Angeles

Of course the hoteloier might say in his defence that all three TA contributors hail from Melbourne, Australia (or appear to!) and hence 'must know each other' and 'be organised by a competitor to talk my property's TA ranking down.'

This is not the case: I have never met the other two TA users above.

It's just one of those little coincidences that a playwright could not write a play about, because no one would believe the Act(s) in the play.

Mactan Island...
Level Contributor
302 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suspicious reviews on the Lewis Grand Hotel Angeles

I have also noticed, especially with places here in Cebu, you sometimes will see reviews in which you are not sure is accurate. Its really hard to know for sure. Its mostly commom sense and watching who, where, details, and words used.

As for the one hit wonder reviewers, I will say I do not agree totally with that. I have reviews for my place that are one timers. The reason I feel for that is that I have the Trip Advisor widget on my website, which says please leave a review. Plus trip advisor also has promotional place mats you can place on your tables. They are in the owners center. Trip Advisor is big on the promotion business and trip advisor working together to get more people to join. So I feel that some of those ( on my busienss anyways) are from customers who dont actually leave reviews alot, or does not even know of trip advisor. But when they have a good experience maybe they feel obligated to want to leave a review for the business. I personally when greeting the customers good bye, will say, I hope you had a great experience. You can leave review about our place on trip advisor. They mostly will reply, Well i dont have a account there, but I will surely try to leave you a review.......

Maybe they will never leave another, or then again maybe that will give trip advisor another client and also our team another memeber with great advice and travel experience.

But I will also agree, that they are some who abuse and use reviews for the wrong reasons.....

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,664 posts
2,079 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suspicious reviews on the Lewis Grand Hotel Angeles

Read the reviews in question. Six 1 review wonders in a row. 5 out of 5 for every category. Make up your own mind.

I dont think any hotel no matter how good they are will get such good ratings.

I dont want members reading fake reviews booking a hotel based on these reviews. Im merely saying exercise caution. When booking a hotel you must be aware of the REAL pros and cons so that there are no surprises when staying there.

Tommo

Mactan Island...
Level Contributor
302 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suspicious reviews on the Lewis Grand Hotel Angeles

Hello tommomelbourne,

I read the reviews, I will agree with you, its looks a little suspicious to me also. Great that you noticed that. I will still defend some of the one review people, but i will agree with you totaly on this one.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention. We can also help others if another question comes up for this... Thanks.......

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,664 posts
2,079 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suspicious reviews on the Lewis Grand Hotel Angeles

This has been reported to tripadvisor twice now. No action has been taken. Either the investigation is taking some time or they are very reluctant to act. They need to stamp out such fake reviews. Its rampant on the Hanoi forum.This website wont be taken seriously if this continues.

Tommo

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam