We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a trip to Nakhon Si Thammarat. Any adve please?

Kata Beach
Level Contributor
22 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a trip to Nakhon Si Thammarat. Any adve please?

Hi,

I am planning a trip to NST. I will be driving and probably coming from Koh Lanta, Trang or Hat Yai. I would like to spend a day or so in the city and then off to one of the beaches.

Could you please help my by telling me what area in the city is worth staying and also what beach area is the best? A little bit of nightlife wouldnt go astray.

After we have finished in NST we will go to Koh Phangan for the fullmoon party. It would be great if we can book 2 nights there so would be looking to stay as close to had rin as possible. We would take our car.

Thanks in advanced.

Gav

13 replies to this topic
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,536 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a trip to Nakhon Si Thammarat. Any adve please?

We are planning a trip to NST next year, so I too have been doing a lot of research. I don't think there's much nightlife to speak of apart from maybe some live music somewhere and drinking. The main area of town seems to be near the train station and most hotels are centred around there too. There seems to be two main beach areas Sichon and Khanom with small beaches in between. You can read about them here:

travelfish.org/location/thailand/southern_th…

I think you will find they are all VERY quiet, with little to no nightlife.

Not sure that you will be able to take your car to Koh Phangan, you'd better check that out. Also most places near the FMP will require a minimum of 5 nights stay, if you stay further from the party this minimum tends to be less.

Kata Beach
Level Contributor
22 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a trip to Nakhon Si Thammarat. Any adve please?

Hi.

Thanks for the reply. I will do some more research of NST. I actually found a cheap guest house whilst searching called Teeny House. They have a facebook page and it looks quite cool and cheap.

Do you know the names of the ferry companies that leave Surat Thani to Koh Phangan?

Also would you know of a town name away from the fullmoon party so I can research some accom?

Thanks again Cheers

Gav

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,536 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a trip to Nakhon Si Thammarat. Any adve please?

Yes, I saw Teeny House (it's in the city not at the beach) too the only trouble is we need a swimming pool as we have kids.

The best and fast ferry company from Don Sak to Koh Phangan is Lomrprayah, you will just need to get a bus or taxi to Don Sak from wherever you are staying in NST.

www.lomprayah.com

Haad Salad, Thong Nai Pan Noi & Bottle Beach (Bottle Beach 1 or Smile Bungalows - far north).

sydney
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a trip to Nakhon Si Thammarat. Any adve please?

Hi,

I used to live in NST.

Its miles away from the beach and i would say not really suitable for kids. There is one hotel with a pool near the tesco/lotus...

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,536 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a trip to Nakhon Si Thammarat. Any adve please?

Thanks, but not bothered about the beach just want to hang out in town for a night or two with the locals, go to night market etc - our kids are just happy with a pool and happy to be around something different. I think the hotel you refer to is Twin Lotus Hotel.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a trip to Nakhon Si Thammarat. Any adve please?

Twin Lotus in town, head to Khanom for beach, quite a few places there.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,536 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a trip to Nakhon Si Thammarat. Any adve please?

We will go to Khanom Beach, but first we are going to Songkhla, then NST and then the beaches of Khanom/Sichon before we head to Koh Phangan.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
783 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning a trip to Nakhon Si Thammarat. Any adve please?

If you have time visit Wat Phra Ma Ha Tat, the temple with grand golden pagoda. There is also a museum inside the temple. One of the greatest temples I've have ever visited.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning a trip to Nakhon Si Thammarat. Any adve please?

older post

Wat Phra Mahatat still has the gold on the chedi weighing over a hundred kilos. I did see a large skinny green snake in this temple and its in the city grounds. just passing the waterfall, worth a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_EKCkB3SuQ

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,390 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning a trip to Nakhon Si Thammarat. Any adve please?

Yeah, what would DFAT know. Clearly there's no substance to their 'Do Not Travel to Songkhla' warning. But you should be right because they don't actually mention anything about not taking young kids there ;)

Edited: 14 January 2012, 23:43
Reply to: Planning a trip to Nakhon Si Thammarat. Any adve please?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nakhon Si Thammarat