We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the garbage and trash everywhere is horrifying

Newtown...
9 posts
Save Topic
the garbage and trash everywhere is horrifying

We just got here yesterday to end our hectic holiday in Vietnam. We are staying at LA veranda on long beach which itself has been a great resort so far. We spent all afternoon admiring the natural beauty of long beach... Until we decided to do a walk . as soon add you step off our property the beach is littered with plastic bags, bottles Styrofoam and all types of wrap. I saw a fish washed ashore with something stuck in its mouth. We did some research on pq before coming here and heard about trashproblems but pq being advertised as the next hot spot I thought most people were overreacting. We were sadly mistaken.

We were at hieu's family restaurant on the beach for lunch today and a tourist pulled about 10 kilos of trash into a pile as we were eating and he was waiting for his friends to finish up their massages

The trash simply ruins the natural beauty of this place. I'm surprised this problem isn't mentioned more on this board because I feel like we are wasting days here where we could have gone somewhere else. We aren't stay on the resort type people but here we dont want to find out how polluted the rest of the island is. I hope some locals here can give us the scoop.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: the garbage and trash everywhere is horrifying

Sadly, the Vietnamese are not concerned with such things as trash, noise, pollution. The more the merrier. I was recently sitting on Bai Dai beach. A Vietnamese family sat about 30 inches from a bin and they threw all their garbage in the sand.

It's not ignorance, it's culture. They care nothing about their neighbours, someone will always clean up after them, just as their moms did at home (yes their homes are usually very clean), they only litter when not at home.

Noise? If there's no noise, no-one is happy.

We're the visitors, we deal with it. It's their choice to ruin their own lives.

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,616 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: the garbage and trash everywhere is horrifying

Phu Quoc is not alone in this. Vietnam has rubbish all along the seaboard and is particularly bad in Ha Long Bay, towns near rivermouths and any place outside of the boundary of any beachfront Resort.

The problem is twofold. The first is lack of any organised rubbish collection or recycling and the second is a lack of education. Posts like your are numerous on TA and there are some signs of improvement.

As Jim says it is cultural. In the past people would eat their meals from banana and palm leaf based plates and were just discarded. These days the practice continues but there are no vegetable based plates, just plastic.

VN has a power generation problem. Danish packaged incineration plants whilst not the perfect answer would go a long way to killing 2 birds with the one stone. (Terrible saying as it is ).

Ross

Edited: 19 April 2013, 10:52
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
66 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: the garbage and trash everywhere is horrifying

Yes, trash is a problem. One of things I saw while traveling from Ha Noi (lots of garbage) to Danang and Hoi An is that the last places were a lot cleaner. I heards that apparently the local governor in Danang makes it more of a priority...There is hope that the government will pick up on it...at least it seems to work better in Danang and surroundings.

On the beach you have the additional problem that you get all the crap from (non local) boats. Difficult to get that under control...

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,063 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: the garbage and trash everywhere is horrifying

Hey Tina,

You have to realise that it may not be the locals fault entirely. PQ is in the gulf of Thailand and as such it is going to get its fair share of crap floating down from Thailand and Cambodia as well. The currents are fickle and a beach that may be pristine one day may be a quagmire the next.

The same goes for here in Sydney. Even though most people try to do the right thing, your local beach can be trashed by others from another area that dont give a stuff.

I hope you ventured out to Ganh dau or Sao beach where the wind and tides dont deliver as much rubbish to the beaches.

Mark

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: the garbage and trash everywhere is horrifying

Of course it is the locals' fault, Sheath27. The entire country is overflowing with plastic bags, construction garbage, styrofoam boxes. It's in the genes. Have garbage will litter.

And they still manage to clean the streets every night. Manually. No amount of trash bins lining the beaches will keep them from littering.

It's just the way it is. If anything, it's gotten worse every year as the average income per capita increased.

Edited: 19 April 2013, 13:36
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: the garbage and trash everywhere is horrifying

We have just been to Hanoi, Halong bay and Danang and Hue and were surprised at how clean the towns and streets were. There a ladies going along cleaning up the rubbish and putting it in carts and taking it away. much cleaner than other asian countries I have been in

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14,194 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: the garbage and trash everywhere is horrifying

We recently went to Vietnam for the first time , only from Hue down to HCMC , and I was also surprised at how clean it was generally especially after having just been to Cambodia which is so much worse. It's really sad to see the rubbish spoiling such a beautiful place, Apparently Danang is supposed to be the cleanest city in Vietnam.

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,063 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: the garbage and trash everywhere is horrifying

Jim,

I said that I believed the problem was not 'entirely' the locals fault and I am sticking to that. Admittedly I do not live in the country, like yourself, but I take notice of things and at no time on PQ did I see anybody dumping crap into the river or on the beaches.

In saying that, I am sure that it happens as it does with most countries, but a beach is not a street and it is susceptible to currents and winds and tidal movements which can, and does, deposit crap from countries thousands of miles away......

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: the garbage and trash everywhere is horrifying

We were on the Dragon Pearl and they told us that the Indochina-junk company who own the boat sponsor a clean up programme in Halong Bay, for every styrofoam box that someone brings them they pay them a small fee and it works because the part of the bay that their junks go to is spotless whereas I've read many times here how people were disgusted at all the garbage that they saw in the bay, i'm not saying that every town should be paying people to clean up their garbage but I am saying that if they maybe they should introduce some kind of incentive.

QLD
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: the garbage and trash everywhere is horrifying

Even Australia has this problem.

One year we sheltered in this bay http://goo.gl/maps/lZvrd behind Shaw Island in the Whitsundays and the sea borne rubbish was incredible. Hard hats to toilet seats, plastic bottles by the tonne and fishing net galore washed up probably in a 15 metres wide strip, full length of the beach and near a metre deep in spots.

Same in a lot of less frequented spots up and down the coast, even remote islands 100nm and more out have piles of plastic rubbish

Tourists dont get to see a lot of these spots and the spots tourists do see get cleaned but rest assured, its there and not just an Asia issue.

Get answers to your questions about Phu Quoc Island