We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping in Phu Quoc

London, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping in Phu Quoc

Hi, i wanted to know if i will be able to do some last minute shopping on the island before i head back home? i was looking for silk small handbags, ladies wallets etc... or do i have to buy it from HCMC which is beginning of our trip? i will be heading to Phnom Penh and Siem Reap after HCMC,

will it be better to purchase them things from either PP or SP?

Also i was looking to buy Phu Quoc Pepper, any ideas as to which ones they are, what i should i be looking for and where to purchase it?

lastly.... i've read somewhere on TA about concentrated Passion Juice, where can i buy this from, i would like to bring some back home?

it would be a great help!

Thank you in advance!

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
391 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping in Phu Quoc

I’m not a shopper myself so I didn’t go and discover any shops as such while in Phu Quoc – but in town at Duong Dong they do have a night market selling seafood and other tourist bits and bobs, jewellery, wooden articles, etc. and they were also selling pepper when we were there. They sell lots of pearls at the night market – just make sure you’re buying the real thing. They like to burn them with a lighter to try and convince you what you’re buying is not fake.

Really there isn’t a lot of shopping to be done here so if there’s anything that you specifically want I wouldn’t rely on Phu Quoc.

I believe the passionfruit concentrate can be found in Dalat, members will be able to tell you other places as well.

Victoria

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping in Phu Quoc

The old market in Siem Reap or Russian Market in Pnomh Penh ate best.Not really any shopping on Phu Quoc.

Perth, WA
Level Contributor
929 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping in Phu Quoc

There is not much to buy on PQ island. Pearls, pepper and coffee are the main things. The Main Street and markets were quite disappointing IMHO. PQ is not the place to go for shopping and best to buy in hcmc or other markets in vietnam. We went to a pepper farm on a day trip we organised with a taxi. There was pepper and coffee available to buy at the farm. PQ is a great place to relax.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
215 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping in Phu Quoc

In fact, Phu Quoc is best known for fish sauce and pepper. Recently it has pearls on the list, dont buy in the Duong Dong night market though. Go to the two foreign own farms (by Australians and Japanese I think) on the way south of the town.

Matthew Duong.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,627 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping in Phu Quoc

Matthew-Duong

In fact, Phu Quoc is best known for fish sauce and pepper

-----------------------

But don't try taking fish sauce on the aircraft....they will take it off you. But generally Phu Quoc isn't about shopping. Try HCMC.

London, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping in Phu Quoc

Thanks everyone for the info, much appreciated.

Puss

7. Re: Shopping in Phu Quoc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Phu Quoc Island