We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phu Quoc Island - Worth it?

Jodhpur, India
Level Contributor
14 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Phu Quoc Island - Worth it?

Hi,

My friend and are are heading to Vietnam in February and thought about heading to Phu Quoc towards the end of the month.

My partner however lived in Vietnam for two years and said that while he never personally went there, he did stay at Nha Trang and everyone he met who'd been to Phu Quoc island said it was 'meh' or 'ok' and 'not what you think it will be'. Also I've heard the water is very polluted there as it's near the Mekong Delta and the development is crazy on the island. Then there's the power plant and infrastructure that goes with that, and apparently high prices?

I thought I'd ask some people who have been there recently or are there now, is it as bad as all that? My friend and I would want to bake on the beach and maybe hire a moped to get around a bit, explore some jungle if possible. Is Phu Quoc the place we should go?

1. Re: Phu Quoc Island - Worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2014, 15:46
Sydney
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phu Quoc Island - Worth it?

yogibaba

It is clean and relaxed and the locals are wonderful. The food is amazing if you are into that, and the scenery is second to none.

Add to this the perfect beaches at Sao and Long beach, no pollution, but if there is it is washed up from elsewhere. Or maybe you should try somewhere less touristy like Kuta, Patong etc... IMO.

Mark

leicester
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phu Quoc Island - Worth it?

I know this is very repetitive for regulars...sorry, but riding a moped here without a VN license is illegal. You need either to hire a rider or run the risk of being uninsured and on the wrong side of the law particularly if you have an accident or damage the bike.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phu Quoc Island - Worth it?

It's got beaches to sit on that we thought were the best in Vietnam. Jungles and waterfalls as well. Great food, and far more laid back than mainland Vietnam.

Great place for unwinding at the end of your trip.

Sunshine Beach...
Level Contributor
14 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phu Quoc Island - Worth it?

Yes, I reckon you should go to Phu Quoc! It is beautiful, the locals friendly, food is great and it's affordable. Fights are regular with Vietjet and Vietnam airlines. the own itself is no picture thats for sure. there are some truly astonishingly cheesy looking hotels worth photo or two. It all does look a bit dated and styled by/to suit the manly Russian tourists. In saying that, there are some cute little bungalows too.I'm staying at La Mer Resort. Basic, clean, room ( see review ) with room rate of around $35AU per night. There are other options beachside (La Mer is off the beach down a lane, but an easy stroll past convenience stores and cafes). I've spoken to a few people who are paying similar, maybe a few dollars more for something more beachside, but I like where I am at.. The beach is not visually polluted with litter, but the water has nothing on the visibility, shoreside at least, nor cleanliness of the what I'm used to in Noosa, but it's still nice. I've come here purely to relax and on that front, Phu Quoc ticks all the boxes. there are a heap of day tours to do, but apart from a couple of trips to the night markets, I've pretty much hung around the beach near my digs and ate fresh, clean food and probably too many ice coffees with condensed milk, but they are addictive. I'd recommend it for an unwind.

Newmachar, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phu Quoc Island - Worth it?

I'm planning going to Vietnam in March, HCMC for 3-4 days then a 10 day beach holiday. Is Phu Quoc worth going to for the full ten days?

7. Re: Phu Quoc Island - Worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2015, 07:21