We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are we making a mistake in Phu Quoc?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
118 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Are we making a mistake in Phu Quoc?

First let me say I am a compulsive planner when it comes to making vacation arrangements. I prefer to have reservations and transfers completely handled prior to arriving anywhere. Once we are there, I am open to whatever opportunities present themselves provided we have a base of operations all taken care of. Now comes the quandary- the wife is exactly the opposite. She would prefer to just wing it- show up and find a place when we get there. I have (foolishly I beleive) given her the option to do it her way when we arrive in Phu Quoc in November. I understand it is not the high season for tourists, are we going to have many options?

Thanks in advance!

Nick (and Kerry)

Ha Tien, Vietnam
Level Contributor
802 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are we making a mistake in Phu Quoc?

Early November shouldn't be too much of a problem,the later in that month you are there the busier it will get. Why don't you reach a sensible compromise and book somewhere for the first night so that you have somewhere to go to on arrival,if you like it stay there for longer,if not have a look around that day or next morning and find something else.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
104 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are we making a mistake in Phu Quoc?

Hi Nick,

Phu Quoc dry season from October to March is the best season, but because this season is the peak season so prices of hotels, resorts has increased. You should make reservations at least a month in advance to make sure there is room available. The air ticket booking also absolutely necessary.

However, there are always many hostels and guest-houses available. if you don't mind to stay there, then listen to your wife.

I hope you will have a good trip in Phu Quoc.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
118 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are we making a mistake in Phu Quoc?

Thanks Travelo- you confirmed my thoughts. I bought the air a couple months ago so we are set with that- every big trip we have done- Thailand, England, Ireland among them- she has wanted to just wing it- I think perhaps for the sake of matrimonial harmony I will just let this one go and the chips will fall wherever they may. I sleep in a barracks style setup at work at times, so I have no problem in the hostel type situation- she, however, might flip the f*ck out over it and maybe the next trip nothing will be left to chance lol. Thanks again for the reply- either way it will still be an adventure!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
118 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are we making a mistake in Phu Quoc?

Oasis- knowing my wife I think even booking the first night would seem like I am usurping her plan-- going to just roll with it- Thanks for the thought though!

5. Re: Are we making a mistake in Phu Quoc?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 May 2014, 06:05
Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,558 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are we making a mistake in Phu Quoc?

nickandkerry .............. Just make sure you have an area in mind. Phu Quoc isn't backpacker land in HCMC. While there are lots of hotels etc they are far more spread out. No fun whatsoever, even using a taxi, going around the houses. It also eats into your available time. If you are there a couple of days at most, I'd prebook. Wherever you end up with your basecamp it doesn't take long to go around the island.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
659 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are we making a mistake in Phu Quoc?

November is really busy for most of the best resorts on the island. U might have no problem finding a guesthouse. But good luck for top 10 places.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Are we making a mistake in Phu Quoc?

Book a room for yourself,if she cant find a room she will have to beg to stay in yours LOL

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
10,197 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are we making a mistake in Phu Quoc?

Google BEACH CLUB Phu Quoc and if they're full then you may need to start looking at booking somewhere in advance. I would use them as an indicator of availability of rooms.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
659 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are we making a mistake in Phu Quoc?

Not too sure if beach club is the good example as they are not big online.

if u really care about ur accommodation, I LL make a list of places and look online how they go.

if ur accommodation doesn't matter much as u LL always be out, I wouldn't worry.