We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

info needed lease

Which Chimayo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jackson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
442 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
info needed lease

I just found this charming site while searching for things to do while in Santa Fe. How far is it from Buffalo Thunder Resort? Would you consider it a full day destination or just a few hours of sightseeing? Anything else in that area while we're out there? Thank you as always to the kind TA repliers!

2 replies to this topic
Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: info needed lease

Not clear, but is the charming site Chimayo? Yes, an excellent outing for you from Buffalo Thunder. About 20 miles. Just continue north on the highway. Past Pojoaque, at bottom of a hill is right turn at Nambe. 503. Very pretty, winding road, then opens up. Look for sign to Chimayo at Juan Medina Road to turn left. Hard to miss that road. At Chimayo, visit Santuario. I like to eat at Rancho de Chimayo a little further down the road. KthSch and others have extensive knowledge of the many crafts studios in the area. I'm sure there's a website for Chimayo arts & crafts studios. Won't take a full day. But that is part of High Road if you want to continue toward Taos that way. Very picturesque. Taos and back is tough for just one day and most will tell you it's really not worthwhile unless you can spend some time there. And then it's very worthwhile. You can ask about a Taos visit in a separate post if you're curious, or look for recent posts in the Taos forum. You are also not far from Bandelier from the resort. That could be very nice 1/2 day. There's some recent restrictions on access because of fires and runoff but it sounds like it's fully open. A recent post discusses (or check their web site) where you have to park, etc.

Edited: 14 October 2011, 16:02
New Mexico
Level Contributor
463 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: info needed lease

Lots of shops and galleries in Chimayo. I would definitely visit the Santuario church, there is a lot to see in the church itself. There are a few shops and another small church on the property. There is an awesome restaurant about a mile north of the Santurio called Rancho de Chimayo that is great. There are weaving shops that people from the restaurant can lead you to. Like the above poster indicated, the drive to Taos through Truchas and Penasco is beautiful now that the tress are changing colors. In Taos there is a lot to see and do.

Reply to: info needed lease
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Chimayo