We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cliff dwellings

missouri
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
cliff dwellings

Me and my family are wanting to visit cliff dwellings. We are visiting arizona in june and want to actually go in the cliff dwelling. I know that the cliff dwellings in mesa verde colorado are good, but I was wondering if there were any closer to phoenix that you can actually go into or have a guide to go into.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,059 posts
98 reviews
1. Re: cliff dwellings

You may do better asking this in the Arizona forum.

Montezuma Castle and Tonto National Monument are the cliff dwellings closest to Phoenix. The former's are not publicly-accessible, the latter's require a guided tour, which is offered only in the winter.

Walnut Canyon is also on your way and is a cliff dwelling site which has publicly-accessible dwellings. It's just east of Flagstaff on I-40.

There are also several dwelling sites which aren't cliff dwellings, like Chaco Canyon and Wupatki, which you should also consider.

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
for Silver City, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
45 reviews
2. Re: cliff dwellings

If you will be in New Mexico (your post wasn't clear on that point), you might consider the Gila Cliff Dwellings (near Silver City) and/or Bandelier (near Los Alamos).

nc
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
3. Re: cliff dwellings

Canyon de Chelly on the NM/Arizona border is quite amazing!

Level Contributor
669 posts
38 reviews
4. Re: cliff dwellings

If you are passing through check out Chaco Canyon near Farmington NM.

5. Re: cliff dwellings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 21:16
Get answers to your questions about Espanola