We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bisti and Chaco in one day?

Parkland, Florida
Level Contributor
201 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Bisti and Chaco in one day?

Planning my trip for next summer. Will be staying in Farmington. will be possible to see both Chaco Culture and Bisti Badlands all in one day?

If so, how do you get from one to the other? Google keeps saying to backtrack almost all the way back to Farmington. How is best to plan the day? I would think Bisti in the early morning before it gets really hot then Chaco later. Bringing lunch of course.

3 replies to this topic
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,216 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bisti and Chaco in one day?

No, Chaco is a full day and well worth a full day. So much to see and do, plus it is 2.5 hour drive each direction from Farmington. Bisti would be another 1/2 day.

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for New Mexico, Albuquerque
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bisti and Chaco in one day?

Both are in fairly uninhabited country. Any roads there are usually are dirt, and not meant for a regular car. 4 wheel drive would get you through, but you would have to jog back and forth, and I know I would get lost. It is a huge area.

So, backtracking to Farmington is your only option. And, you really couldnt do justice to both in one day. Bisti is mostly wilderness, and accessible in only a couple of places by car, and only for short distances. It is pretty much just for hiking, and you could very easily get lost.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
2 posts
546 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bisti and Chaco in one day?

It takes 25 miles of dirt washboard road to get to Chaco. Take a day or stay overnight. You'll have a full day going from one ruin to another. I've done it a few times and I see something different every time.

There is also an outlier of Chaco on the Chaco road, but you have to know where it is, it is so much smaller. If you are a ruin hunter, you will probably be all alone there.

Reply to: Bisti and Chaco in one day?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted