We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Four Corners Area Visit

Which Farmington hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Holland, Michigan
4 posts
Save Topic
Four Corners Area Visit

Dear Trip Advisor Friends,

My husband and I are traveling round trip to Albuquerque for one week and we want to explore Four Corners area. I have Triple A's Indian Country map and now realize we are going to have to limit ourselves because we don't want to be in the car the whole time. Our biggest interests are the geological sights. We'd like to do day hikes and explore the cool rock formations (we are not rock climbers!). We are not shoppers. We'd like to see Mesa Verde, but not sure how to make the most of our time. Are there a few spots centrally located where we could spend 2 or 3 nights in a row and use it as a base? We get into ABQ at 4pm and could drive somewhere that evening. Any advice is greatly appreciated . I see some New Mexico forum contributors on the side panel and I think I will take a look at some posts while I wait to hear back. Thanks, Marlene

4 replies to this topic
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,399 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Four Corners Area Visit

I suggest Albuquerque to Durango on the 550... Next morning visiting Mesa Verde, drive on to Montecello/ Moab... Base from Moab for at least two days... Back down the 191 to Blanding,turning in the 95 East, to the 361 South & down the "Moki Dugway to Goosenecks State Park. Back to the 191 South,for a tour of Canyon De Chelly ... Return to Albuquerque on the I-40 ... Happy trails

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
803 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Four Corners Area Visit

IF you have time on your way to Durango, add in a stop at Tent Rocks. Amazing rock formations. You can walk in or drive a bit further and see many of the hoodoo's.

Holland, Michigan
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Four Corners Area Visit

Thanks for the advice--10 days before our trip my husband broke his leg and we have postponed. We had booked a room at Casa Blanca in Farmington for part of the time and got a lot of good, enthusiastic advice from Linda. They were great about refunding the nonrefundable deposit and wishing him well. Can't wait to rebook and will watch for your posts.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,698 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Four Corners Area Visit

Sorry to hear about your husband. Keep on planning for when he is healed.

Bisti Badlands

Tent Rocks NM

Monument Valley

Canyon de Chelly NM

Petrified Forest NP

Sandia Crest in Albuquerque

Petroglyph Nat Mon in Abq

Reply to: Four Corners Area Visit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted