We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spence hot springs

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
411 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Spence hot springs

I'll be visiting the area week of April 12 and have the following questions:

1. will the Spence Hot Springs be accessible (weather issues)?

2. I read something about a bacteria or 'bug' in the water - is that accurate?

3. Anything else we should know?

Thank you!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,076 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spence hot springs

Weather should be just fine unless a huge freak snowstorm comes in. Today it was windy and about 45 but next week can be up to 60+. Snow most likely won't be an issue on the ground. The roads will be just fine.

Haven't been to Spence springs in many, many years (and did not get sick) here's a link from the Forest Service. fs.fed.us/r3/…spence.htm

Here's other hot springs in the area. http://www.jemezsprings.org/hotsprings.html

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spence hot springs

In the "anything else we should know" category

The state's website for hot springs:

newmexico.org/explore/hot_springs/inbox.php

says of Spence Springs: "rumored to be a hang-out for nudists.". I guess then, it's just a matter of how much you want to let hang- out. :-) While the springs may be warm in mid-April, the surrounding ambient temperature would still be pretty cool in the Jemez Mountains I would think. Happy soaking!

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spence hot springs

The "direct link" does not seem to be working. You'll be taken to the New Mexico home page...then click on the "Explore" icon...followed by "Natural Springs."

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
247 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spence hot springs

I don't care for Spence Hot Springs at all. You have to be careful with your car so it won't get broken into down by the road. The hot springs is also a big hang out for the gay crowd, not to say anything bad about gays but families may not enjoy the party scene. And, there is a parasite in the water that is not too pleasant. There are some springs further up on the mesa, via Battleship Rock, that are more remote and cleaner (sorry, I can't remember the name). My suggestions for hot springs in the area is San Antonio Hot Springs located way up in San Antonio Canyon via FR 365. You need a high clearance vehicle to get there, very rough road but it deters the gawkers and wierdoes. The springs are nice and you have an excellent view of the canyon and Rio S. Antonio.

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
297 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spence hot springs

You might want to go to http://www.soakersforum.com/3/ for all the latest info on Spence, McCauley's, San Antonio and other springs in that area.

6. Re: Spence hot springs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Jemez Springs
More Jemez Springs Topics