We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

camping in april

albuquerque
2 posts
Save Topic
camping in april

Is it too cold to go camping in jemez the last week of april?

8 replies to this topic
New Mexico
Level Contributor
895 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: camping in april

Yes ,I think so. The temps are still going down to the 20's and 30's. Too cold for me. Guess it depends on your gear!

albuquerque
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: camping in april

Ya that seems too cold. I think I'll wait tell that week to decide to go or not. Thanks for the advice.

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: camping in april

Maybe, but you are getting close. I've had pretty good luck calling rangers/park managers directly about conditions. Jemez Falls is about 7900 feet. Bring your own firewood or you may be able to purchase at La Cueva at the intersection of NM4 and NM126 or from camp host, if there is one that early in season. Here's a good site I've used: http://www.explorenm.com/camping/JemezFalls/ That site describes the season as beginning in May. We've also enjoyed the state parks in New Mexico, usually smaller, usually fishing and hiking, and showers! (Fed parks don't have showers.) You might want to check those options. Villanueva, for example, is 95 miles from ABQ, versus 75 miles to Jemez Falls.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
251 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: camping in april

I have camped in April before in the Jemez. If your an experienced camper you shouldn't have any problems. It can get cold so go prepared. Are you thinking about primitive camping or at a campground? I prefer the primitive camping experience and there are limitless areas to set up a tent or camper.

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: camping in april

Escopeton: Where do you like to go? I think I've heard people heading out around Gilman Tunnels and also past the La Cueva fork, off 126, around Fenton Lake or the fish hatchery? I've seen boy scouts camping along East Fork.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: camping in april

Temps are currently in the low 60's and 30's at night above Jemez Springs. My favorite places to camp in the Jemez are Fenton Lake State Park, and the San Antonio National Forest Campground both on NM-126. The Jemez River (a small stream) runs through San Antonio C.G.) I just checked however, and San Antonio is closed for rennovation at this date 4/12/11...but may be open by late April. All of the areas north of Jemez Springs are over 7,500ft. in elevation. If you have specific questions, contact the Jemez Springs Ranger Station.

Whether camping in a developed campground, or on your own, remember the heightened fire danger we are in here in Northern New Mexico.

Edited: 12 April 2011, 18:58
Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: camping in april

very good point about fire danger

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
251 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: camping in april

For me, it depends on what I am doing. I camp because either I am fishing or hunting (including mushrooms). I like to go to the west side of the national forest area to get away from people. The area around San Pedro National Parks is a good area for me. It is primitive with no facilities at all. But, along Hwy/Forest Road 126 that travels from Cuba to La Cueva, there is Clear Creek, Las Vacas campgrounds; they contain some water and pit toilets.

Go prepared.

Reply to: camping in april
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Jemez Springs
Recent Conversations
More Jemez Springs Topics