We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking budget accommodations for 25-30 for family reunion

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Seeking budget accommodations for 25-30 for family reunion

Looking to find a place around Las Cruces to hold our family reunion. Two summers ago we found a funky awesome place in Fraser, CO called the Rocky Mountain Inn and Hostel. We were able to rent out the entire place for a reasonable rate. It was clean, basic and had a common kitchen area so we could cook together. They also had parking for a few of our family members who had RV's. Seeking a similar place in or around Las Cruces.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
149 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking budget accommodations for 25-30 for family reunion

KOA on the west mesa is the only place I can think of that would meet all your criteria. Great locatio, perched on the edge of the mesa overlooking the Mesilla Valley farms and orchards with the Organ Mountains looming in the background. Mesilla historic district easily accessible as well. One of the best situated KOAs I have ever seen, and nicely funky.

Not sure about a common kitchen, but plenty of room for outdoor cooking on the grill. Check out their website for details, pictures, etc.

Eliot, Maine
Level Contributor
11 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeking budget accommodations for 25-30 for family reunion

Try the Lundeen Inn of the Arts; they are generally pretty popular but if you plan ahead you might get lucky. www.innofthearts.com There is a large parking lot across the street where RVs could park. Can't recommend it highly enough. Also try the Holy Cross Retreat and Conference Center http://www.holycrossretreat.org/ at the south end of town. Tell the RV travelers that en route to Las Cruces about 3 hours west in Texas Canyon in eastern Arizona on Interstate Highway 10 there is an Indian Museum of very high quality. Texas Canyon is an area with unique rock formations; you can't miss it. At the west end of Texas Canyon is "The Thing" which has lots of highway signs and is a truly ghastly place that I think should be shut down (To call a mummified Indian woman and child a "thing" is just unforgivable). At the east end of Texas Canyon is Dragoon Road, take it south one mile to the Indian Museum. Also on Highway 10 an hour east of Tucson is the little town of Willcox. At the main Willcox exit is Stout's Cider Mill which has the best apple pies I've ever had; they are at least 8 inches high. Bring some to the reunion in Las Cruces; the family will love you. Restaurant recommendations in Las Cruces: Ranchway for Mexican food; A Taste of India for East Indian food; Lorenzo's for Italian food including very good pizza (I like the pesto, Vickie likes the eggplant). The Farm and Ranch Museum is of good quality.

Arizona
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeking budget accommodations for 25-30 for family reunion

I strongly recommend the Royal Host Hotel, It is a very small family owned motel and used to be a Ramada Inn. My husband and I stay there (here, we are actually here now for a funeral) every time we come to visit family in Las Cruces. It is a plain little one story motel and the rooms are basic, well furnished with a mini fridge and micro, and the people who own it are sweet and accommodating. We stayed here once because we couldn't find a holiday inn and I was too tired to drive around and look, we loved it, it is SUPER cheap and we haven't stayed anywhere else since.

We usually pay between 40-50 dollars a night for a king size room. There is free wifi and a little 50's style Diner in the parking lot.

I like the idea of supporting small family owned operations like this, please call them for more info.

Royal Host Hotel you can find the info on AAA's site.

Eliot, Maine
Level Contributor
11 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeking budget accommodations for 25-30 for family reunion

The Royal Host Hotel is on Picacho Blvd., which is the old highway. The motels on this street mostly date from the 1950s. If it used to be a Ramada Inn, I wonder what decade that was in? And how does this writer know this ancient information--Friendship with the owners? If it is not ancient information, then please say how recently it was. And if you recommend this motel, why don't you submit photos of it? I would not recommend any of the places along Picacho for a family reunion setting, unless your family really cannot afford a nice place to hold it. I have no doubt that it is probably a clean place, but as far as the original request -- a place to hold a family reunion -- it really just sounds like any other motel to me, and the inquirer could just as easily rent any motel. They seem to want something more including a common kitchen area where everyone could gather. Insist on photos before committing to a place. This is not the most desirable part of town. I regret to critique a place, maybe the owners are trying hard, but I think that the first responsibility of reviewers is honesty and appropriateness for the intended use.

5. Re: Seeking budget accommodations for 25-30 for family reunion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 15:16