We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay/eat

yorkshire
Level Contributor
290 posts
170 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay/eat

In three weeks my husband and I are doing a bit of a road trip from Texas to Arizona.

We are flying into Houston and driving straight to Austin for three nights then San Antonio for three nights.After that we are heading for Scottsdale.We are planning to stop in Las Cruces/Mesilla for the night on our way from San Antonio to Scottsdale.I know that it is a long drive to there and we will be tired but we are planning to leave early in the morning.

Can anybody recommend a hotel where there is a good local mexican restaurant that we can walk to.Old Mesilla sounds very picturesque but I dont know if that is within walking distance of any hotels.

Mentioned in this post
Arizona
Arizona
United States
San Antonio
San Antonio
New Mexico
Mesilla
Mesilla
Las Cruces, NM
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,866 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay/eat

Old Mesilla has some fun restaurants. Peppers/Double Eagle and La Posta are a few we have enjoyed.

Not sure if there are any hotels close enough to walk, but Comfort Inn/Suites is a very short drive from Mesilla plaza area.

Mentioned in this post
Mesilla
Mesilla
Las Cruces, NM
Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,817 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay/eat

There are no hotels within walking distance to Old Mesilla, but there are a couple of B&Bs. It's a very quick drive though from the hotel area, which is along Valley Drive and Main Street just off I-10.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
897 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay/eat

We stayed at the Hampton Inn in Las Cruces. Nice hotel. Very short driving distance to La Mesilla.

We ate at La Posta. Excellent food with very reasonable prices.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
290 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay/eat

Thanks very much for all your replies.I will probably book somewhere very near to old town Mesilla.

Only two weeks and five days until we fly over.I cant wait.

Mentioned in this post
Mesilla
Mesilla
Las Cruces, NM
New Mexico
Level Contributor
51 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay/eat

I live in Alamogordo (60 miles away) and go to Las Cruces OFTEN. Can't help with any hotel/motel info, but one of our favorite places to go eat is Old Mesilla. We usually eat at La Posta and have never had a bad meal there. We have eaten at Double Eagle several times too. Double Eagle is "fancier" and more expensive and has several choices that are not mexican (I loved the seafood crepes). I will have to say that we have had mixed reviews on the service.

I hope you have enough time (a few hours) to walk around Mesilla and pop into the shops to look/shop. Gotta work off the good food (from whichever place you choose)!!!

Mentioned in this post
Alamogordo
Alamogordo
New Mexico
Mesilla
Mesilla
Las Cruces, NM
yorkshire
Level Contributor
290 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay/eat

We will be in Mesilla on Saturday November 15th.Will we have to reserve a table in advance.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Mesilla
Mesilla
Las Cruces, NM
yorkshire
Level Contributor
290 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay/eat

That was stupid I meant to ask if we were going to La Posta would we have to reserve a table.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
51 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay/eat

Usually not necessary. You may have to wait a few minutes. As many times as we have gone, we have never had to wait very long (I don't even know if they ACCEPT reservations!)

BTW, you MAY want to call ahead because one of the candidates is visiting Mesilla this weekend (don't remember who, or which day) but I CAN guarantee that it will be a nightmare (security, traffic, etc).

I hate politics.....but I remember hearing on the local news this AM that "someone" will be in Mesilla!

Mentioned in this post
Mesilla
Mesilla
Las Cruces, NM
New Mexico
Level Contributor
51 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay/eat

SORRY!!!! I was NOT paying attention! You are visiting on 15 November.........

Please disregard my previous post about campaigning THIS weekend.

10. Re: Where to stay/eat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 22:19