We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus travel from Las Cruces to Tucson

British Columbia
Level Contributor
23 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Bus travel from Las Cruces to Tucson

We're travelling from Puerto Vallarta to Tucson by bus. I have all the journey planned now, but can't seem to find out what bus lines run from Las Cruces to Tucson. We will probably look for a B&B in Las Cruces...hopefully close to the bus depot(we'll be arriving by Greyhound from El Paso),but couldn't find out whether they went on to Tucson. Has anyone travelled this route by bus? We just thought it would be cheaper than a flight.

Any help would be appreciated.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
875 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus travel from Las Cruces to Tucson

Wow! What an adventure. Your trip sounds very exciting.

No personal experience but I googled Greyhound.com. Greyhound shows 3 departures.

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
for Silver City, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,247 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus travel from Las Cruces to Tucson

You might consider checking the cost of a one-way car rental from El Paso to Tucson. Depending on the number of people traveling, it might be cheaper to do so.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,271 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus travel from Las Cruces to Tucson

Bus travel would be Greyhound booked through Greyhound.com.

The bus depot is just west of Downtown in Tucson and Downtown in Las Cruces. In Las Cruces, you'll likely have to take a taxi, as there are no B&Bs or motels near the bus depot.

I would second Mitch's idea of renting a car one-way. I normally do Budget for one-way rentals, but they don't have an office in Las Cruces, so it looks like Hertz, Enterprise, Advantage and Avis. Hertz is showing about $125, Enterprise doesn't allow one-way rentals, Advantage is apparently now limiting to only in-state one-ways (although you may want to call them) and Avis is showing a little over $100. Hertz has a location in Downtown Tucson at the rail station (which is about a mile from the bus depot) and Avis about 3 miles north of Downtown. I think one or both offers pick-up service though.

hth

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
for Silver City, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,247 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus travel from Las Cruces to Tucson

Colin:

Since they will be arriving in El Paso, they could pick up a rental from Budget there, starting at about $119.

Any way you slice it, it will be more cost-effective than taking the Greyhound, especially when you consider the added versatility you get when you have a car to drive; also, if there are more than two in the party, the cost of the rental is cheaper than the cost of bus tickets.

British Columbia
Level Contributor
23 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus travel from Las Cruces to Tucson

Thanks for the information. We did book a car from El Paso to Tucson through Alamo for $78. That workied out cheaper than the bus and certainly a lot more flexibility. We do have to pick up the car at the El Paso airport. Does anyone know of a cheap way to get from the Greyhound bus depot in El Paso to the airport? We will be taking the Americano bus from Juarez to El Paso, and I believe that line is affiliated with Greyhound.

6. Re: Bus travel from Las Cruces to Tucson

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 23:20