We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safety

Boston...
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
safety

Are Radium Springs safe? Do you get exposed to radon by going to the hot springs?

7 replies to this topic
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,836 posts
86 reviews
1. Re: safety

Are you wondering about a New Mexico Hot Spring ??? Where...carracar

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,836 posts
86 reviews
2. Re: safety

We have camped at Ft. Selden/Leesberg Dam State Park...Walking round after dark & encountering noone that glowed in the dark...I would assume little risk...I know not, if there is public access to the thermal fearures

Boston...
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: safety

Thank you for the responses. We are going to Japan and there are artificial radium baths and hot springs.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,456 posts
62 reviews
4. Re: safety

Japan is not New Mexico. You most likely will want to do some research elsewhere, not relying on volunteers on a travel website.

Edited: 02 January 2012, 02:43
Bandung, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
5. Re: safety

i learned radio-chemistry back then .... i'm no doctor but i'm quite sure it's dangerous m8.

here's quote from Wiki:

"Radium is highly radioactive and its immediate daughter, radon gas, is also radioactive. When ingested, 80% of the ingested radium leaves the body through the feces, while the other 20% goes into the bloodstream, mostly accumulating in the bones. Exposure to radium, internal or external, can cause cancer and other disorders, because radium and radon emit alpha and gamma rays upon their decay, which kill and mutate cells."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radium

Los Alamos, New...
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Los Alamos
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
223 reviews
6. Re: safety

There are so many misconceptions at work here (I'm a Ph.D. nuclear chemist) that it would take about three pages of text to list and rebut them all. The short version: environmental radon (which I spent a certain amount of my career working on stuff to measure) is indeed a hazard if breathed CHRONICALLY. That's why modern structures that are made of materials that elaborate radon, or sit on geological structures that do so, have mitigating features. But I emphasize CHRONICALLY. The concentrations emitted by *any* natural hot spring are so low that acute exposure is a complete non-problem.

I have no personal experience with, nor emotional or financial stake in, Radium Springs, New Mexico. Based on a cursory read of the literature, I probably wouldn't want to breathe effluents from the springs there 24/7, nor to build a house on top of the strata responsible for the high radon levels. But for a one-time visit I would have precisely ZERO concerns about negative health effects. The same is true of every other naturally occurring spring elaborating higher-than-background levels of radon. Even coal mines, which deliver considerably higher doses of radiation from radon becoming concentrated in shafts and passages, aren't particularly dangerous for one-time entry in this regard -- although what they can do to miners, well, that's a different story.

Go and enjoy, and don't let nonsense get in your way of doing so.

Edited: 15 February 2018, 15:36
London, United...
1 post
7. Re: safety

I am a PhD physicist who is deeply involved in spiritual healing (energy medicine). It is my memory that I bathed in a hot springs I think at Radium, many decades ago, and it subtly destabilised me, in the sense of weakening the connection between my life force and my body, possibly at the etheric level. At the time I understood that to do so was healing. May be. But I would advise anybody to think three times before doing this, even if they are connected into a system of energy healing which can correct the most subtle instabilities afterwards. You may even need to treat yourself for radiation sickness, and have a system of healing which will rebuild you in your body.

Reply to: safety
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Radium Springs
Recent Conversations