We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I relocate to Roswell?

Yarmouth, Ma.
1 post
Save Topic
Should I relocate to Roswell?

I'd like to move to a wamer climit for health reasons AND to get away from the over-crowded Northeast. I also would like to be able to go for a walk with out being on some one else's property. Don't laugh, it's true in my current area. Also, is there a Veterans Hospital Nearby? Thank You

Austin, TX.
Level Contributor
4,889 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I relocate to Roswell?

There are many nicer places to live in NM than Roswell. Its become one big junk store for UFO crap.

Southwest
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I relocate to Roswell?

I don't know much about Roswell, although I'm planning to visit soon. However, Big Spring Texas is a nice quiet small town with a laid-back attitude. People are friendly there, and there is a good sized Veteran's hospital in their town. It's close to the bigger towns of Oddessa and Midland, so if there's anything needed that isn't in Big Spring, a 40 minute drive to the larger shopping centers (on an uncrowded interstate) isn't too bad. Not trying to detour your thoughts on Roswell, just giving some other options as well. Good luck to you.

Cottage Hills...
Level Contributor
547 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I relocate to Roswell?

wolfy7: Check the climatic conditions of New Mexico in the winter before you decide it is a warmer climate. Granted it probably does not get as cold in NM as in Ma., but check it out before you decide.

As far as walking out, there are many states beside NM with that facility, some are warmer maybe than you would like.

Albuquerque is a good area. Not too hot and not too cold. Also the area between Alb. and Santa Fe, along the turquoise trail is worth seeing.

Visibility there is 100+ miles, and the sunset is great.

Hope this helps.

Cottage Hills...
Level Contributor
547 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I relocate to Roswell?

wolfy7: Check the climatic conditions of New Mexico in the winter before you decide it is a warmer climate. Granted it probably does not get as cold in NM as in Ma., but check it out before you decide.

As far as walking out, there are many states beside NM with that facility, some are warmer maybe than you would like.

Albuquerque is a good area. Not too hot and not too cold. Also the area between Alb. and Santa Fe, along the turquoise trail is worth seeing.

Visibility there is 100+ miles, and the sunset is great.

Hope this helps.

artesia, new mexico
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I relocate to Roswell?

if you're thinking about moving to Roswell, maybe you should ask someone who already lives there (or nearby).

I was born in Artesia (30 miles down the highway from Roswell), and moved between Roswell, Artesia, and Carlsbad (yes, of the famous Carlsbad Caverns and 30 miles down the highway from Artesia). I know the area more than well. I also just moved back after living four years in Indiana.

If your moving for health reasons, we have our share of health problems - especially respiratory. If you want to move to get away from the crowd, then this is the place. But consider this, there's no 24/7 life around here. Most businesses (other than Walmart) close at 9:00p.m., and there's not much FUN stuff to do (you can stand only so much of the UFO museums and the Carlsbad Caverns). AFter that, life goes back to the same ol, same ol.

Tatum, New Mexico
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I relocate to Roswell?

I live about 70 miles east of Roswell. I guess my answer to you depends upon what you expect when you get here. Southeastern New Mexico can be something of a shock to those accustomed to bigger cities. If the city life is still slightly appealing, maybe consider Lubbock, TX which is only 2 hours away. The climate is roughly the same but there's lots more to do.

Tatum, New Mexico
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I relocate to Roswell?

PS Santa Fe Albuquerque have high crime rate, and are expensive to live in! Also, it gets alot colder there than Roswell!

Houston
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I relocate to Roswell?

You obviously should visit first. I partially grew up in Roswell. The humidity is very low (like 20%) which was great for me then, but it can dry your skin a bit. It can get well above 100 DegF in summer occasionally but if you step in the shade it feels like it drops 20 degrees. Winters are no where near what you've lived in. I once played tennis 370 days in a row at Roswell High. It snowed once overnight during that winter with 3"-5" of snow covering the whole city. When I got out of class that afternoon there was no snow anywhere. My only complaint about weather was the stiff winds in the spring.

The mountains are <70 miles away including skiing at Ruidoso and inner tubing along the way. It's better than any skiing in the East. Also has horse racing. Bottomless Lakes is 19 miles and lot's of history nearby if people come to visit.

I figured the UFO thing had died down by now but I'm not sure. I know people (90 years old) that were in Roswell in 1947 and lot's of interesting "things" did happen that the gov't squelched. Wouldn't think it's a big deal to residents.

Las Cruces NM
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Should I relocate to Roswell?

Roswell seems to be a nice community. My sister has lived there for more than 20 years so we visit there somewhat frequently. However, it seems to be about 200 miles from everywhere! We moved to Las Cruces NM about 9 years ago in retirement. About 80,000 population. Great University and symphony and health care. Two hospitals. Near White Sands National Monument and White Sands Missile Range. Nice homes $200,000.00 and up. A few degrees warmer than Roswell. Just as sunny. In our 95+ degree summer days, we just stay in the shade. 60 miles from good airport in El Paso, TX. And we're just a bit west of the outstandingly beautiful Organ Mountains - always in view. And how can I forget to mention: 2 Walmarts! Almost every church denomination represented. We're very satisfiedliving here. Good luck on your hunt! Be sure to do your research. And come for a visit!

snow bird in Texas
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Should I relocate to Roswell?

If you have never been there, don't even think of moving there without visiting first. It has some of the things you are seeking, but may leave you short on many others. Considering what so many New Mexico towns lack, it is a pretty nice town for New Mexico, and one that we would have considered if it had better medical. But our medical needs would have required multiple trips in excess of 100 miles each way. It appears there is some growth because there are some new stores and a few new houses going up. We lived in New Mexico for awhile, and passed through and visited Rosewell several times, we enjoyed our visits even though we were very disappointed in the UFO thing, but it comes up short as the place to call home. Very nice people there. You may want to consider the recommendation for Big Spring, however there has been some talk that President Bush wanted to close that VA hospital to build a bigger one in Midland Texas. There are also many Texas towns far enough from San Antonio to avoid the crowds, but close enough to enjoy the amenedies and services including good veterans medical services. Canyon Lake, Fredericksburg, New Braunfels, Sequin, etc.

Get answers to your questions about Roswell