We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vaccination/Malaria Requirements

cumbria
Level Contributor
15 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Vaccination/Malaria Requirements

Can anyone advise me if any vaccinations are required travelling from the UK to Ulusaba Game Reserve. Also do you need a course of malaria tablets before you travel or is mozzie spray enough. I have looked this up on the Internet and from what I can gather is that you do not require any vaccinations, but it is a low risk malaria area. Thought I would ask here first to see if anyone could advise from their visit before I bothered my doctor.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,683 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vaccination/Malaria Requirements

None required, afaik, but then I'm not a medical person.

I don't think you would be 'bothering' your doctor. I'm sure they would prefer to give advice and preventative medication rather than treat some serious illness later.

I take malaria tablets and use insect repellent. I do not see the point of risking my life on holiday while simple precautions are readily available.

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
385 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vaccination/Malaria Requirements

Hi

You did not mention what time of the year you will be in the area. I would definitely take malaria medication during the hot, wet summer months (Sept - April). Even in winter it may be advisable. Remember malaria is a vector disease and outside the Kruger NP are about 2 million people living with little or no malaria prevention. Typically, the more people the more malaria.

The duration and when to take it depends on the type of prophylaxis. Ask your doctor for detail.

Werner

Eko Tracks

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,416 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vaccination/Malaria Requirements

1. NO vaccinations required - and none really needed for a visit to Ulusaba. I was there recently, mozzies never found me. I spent a week in Sabi Sand at several camps and had no bites at all. I say - for a short visit - a spray with 30 - 50% DEET, long sleeves and long slacks at dusk and you should be OK. If you do choose a malaria prophylaxis, probably malarone would be my choice for a short time there.

4. Re: Vaccination/Malaria Requirements

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 16:19
Get answers to your questions about Sabi Sand Game Reserve