We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Sabi Sands

Oakville, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Driving to Sabi Sands

We (my husband and I and our daughters (8 and 10)) are planning a trip to SA in Feb/Mar and are researching different options for game reserves. We think we want to go to Djuma in Sabi Sands. We were thinking of driving from JHB to the reserve (apparently a 6 hour drive). We are not worried about the time so much but are wondering how safe would the drive be? Would most rental car companies allow this as I gather some of the roads are gravel?

Thanks for you thoughts.

Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Driving to Sabi Sands

The route is 100% safe, and the road surface relatively good

All car rental companies will alow you to drive anywhere in South Africa, even on gravel. Do take note, however, that you will be charged for any damaged tyres.

Edited: 24 August 2010, 07:50
Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Driving to Sabi Sands

Why don't you fly from Johannesburg to either Phalaborwa or Nelspruit and rent a car at one of these airports? Phalaborwa is quite close, approx. 1-2 hours (or less) at the most.

From Nelspruit to Sabi Sands is about 2-3 hours.

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,542 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Driving to Sabi Sands

Best access to Djuma in terms of airports (other than flying direct to the Djuma airstrip), would be to fly to Hoedspruit Airport, from there about an hour's drive or road transfer to Djuma.

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Driving to Sabi Sands

Are you sure commercial planes from Oliver Tambo land at Hoedspruit?

I am not so sure about this.

Edited: 24 August 2010, 10:52
SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,542 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Driving to Sabi Sands

The daily flights between ORT International Airport and Hoedspruit Airport can be booked on www.flysaa.com

The majority of our clients who go to the Timbavati and/or northern region of the Sabi Sand Private Game Reserve fly this route, so I am 100% sure that these flights can be booked at excellent rates.

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Driving to Sabi Sands

Thanks Tanya, i did not know this

7. Re: Driving to Sabi Sands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2011, 06:28
Get answers to your questions about Sabi Sand Game Reserve