We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sabi sands private reserves

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
287 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Sabi sands private reserves

We have decided to include. 4 night stay in Sabi Sands as part of our 3 wk stay in South Africa. As with many other TA members, I need help with deciding on the private lodge to seek accommodation for July 2012. We are most excited about the animal sightings but do enjoy some comforts in our stay. I have read all other postings and seem to have ended up with Mala Mala, Leopard Hills, Lion Sands, Kikmans and Sabi Sabi Private Reserve. I am asking for comparison between these on the basis of chance of animal sightings, location ( near river etc ) , value and general comfort of accommodation.

Mentioned in this post
Mala Mala Private Game Reserve
Mala Mala Private Game...
Sabi Sand Game Reserve, South Africa
SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sabi sands private reserves

Hi Robyn, great to hear that you're planning a safari! Would you mind being more specific about which lodges you are considering? Sabi Sabi has 4 different lodges (Bush, Little Bush, Earth & Selati), Lion Sands has 3 (River, Ivory & 1933), and MM has 3 (Main, Sable & Ratrays). If you could tell us which specific lodges you are considering, then those of us whom have visited all of then will be able to give you the advice you are looking for.

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,664 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sabi sands private reserves

I'd throw Londolozi into your mix. They have several lodges to choose among, any of which would be suitable. In fact, given your criteria (comfort, excellent game viewing), Londolozi could be a perfect fit.

Mentioned in this post
Londolozi Private Game Reserve
Londolozi Private Game...
3. Re: Sabi sands private reserves

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 26 December 2011, 06:32
Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
5,561 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sabi sands private reserves

Hi Robyn,

As Tracey says you probably need to state which lodges within the reserves you are looking at. We have stayed at Mala Mala Rattrays and it was one of the most wonderful experiences we have ever had. While the wildlife viewing might be similar from each of their 3 lodges, there are differences in the accommodation, number of people in a vehicle and so on. For example at Rattrays there are only ever 4 adults in a vehicle.

Now as others have added suggestions to your list I might as well do the same. Next year we are heading back to Kruger/Sabi Sand and will be staying for the third time at Exeter Dulini. As you will read in the reviews the Exeter lodges are very well regarded, plus they offer stay 4 nights pay 3 which can make them excellent value. At Dulini you only ever have 6 people to a vehicle which is important to us as this means you have a row to yourselves, presuming you are a couple. The rooms are just amazing, huge and luxurious without being ostentatious, and the people are truly wonderful, all the staff and guests are treated like a big family, and we never want to leave. But most importantly the wildlife, on our last trip we saw so much including close encounters with all the big cats, lions and leopards on nearly every drive, and most exciting was a lion kill one night. which happened just a few meters from our vehicle. Dulini shares traversing with other lodges including 2 of the ones mentioned above, Savannah and Ulusaba, so this increases your sightings. We also like the position of Dulini, it is located fairly central in the traversing area, plus you dont see the fences/villages at the edge of the park, which does not bother us but some people feel it can detract from the experience.

We also add on some time self driving in main Kruger Park, this gives you a completely different experience, less big cat sightings, but larger quantities of plains game, zebra, giraffe and so on.

Enjoy planning.

Mentioned in this post
Mala Mala Private Game Reserve
Mala Mala Private Game...
Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Kruger National Park, South Africa
Dulini Lodge
Dulini Lodge
457 Reviews
Ulusaba Private Game Reserve
Ulusaba Private Game...
Mytmoss
Level Contributor
432 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sabi sands private reserves

I noticed that you have included Lion Sands as one of choices which is great and you also mentioned rivers which are important. Lion Sands is one of only two lodges that have access to two rivers that flow year round, the Sabi and Sand. They either have or will have soon, traversing rights to Tinga also. This would provide outstanding game viewing, especially with bird life that likes to live near water.

All of the lodges mentioned are good to excellent, but Lion Sands is my favorite.

Mike

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sabi sands private reserves

I would still like to know specifically which lodges you are considering, Robyn, as no one has yet been able to answer your original question. I have been to all of the mentioned lodges, and I'd love to give you comparisons, but would need to know which ones you are considering?

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
5,561 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sabi sands private reserves

Hi Tanya

Apologies for calling you Tracey !

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sabi sands private reserves

No problem at all! :-)

Level Contributor
6 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sabi sands private reserves

My wife and I have stayed at Sabi Sabi Selati three times in four years and want to go again. Only eight thatched bungalows, with outside showers open to the bush, large bathrooms and bedrooms. Staying there is like being in a house party and all the staff are really friendly. The sitting area and eating area overlook the waterhole which is great for game viewing.

All is very peaceful but all day can be active either on driven safari or a bush walk. Swimming pool if you want. Game viewing is excellent and never more than three vehicles around a sighting eg leopard,lion etc. Many birds too.

We plan to go again as having found this wonderful place with oil lamps, boma,and terrific food and bush experience and photography opportunities feel we must go to see our friends there again.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
287 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sabi sands private reserves

Hi all,

So much has happened since this question....I have decided on Sabi Sabi and have 3 nights booked at the Little Bush Camp. I was after a fourth night but at this stage it is not certain they can take us. If we are limited to the 3, is that enough or should I seek accommodation of an extra night at one of the other Sabi Sabi lodges. Do you see a problem in changing accomm for the one night?? My booking agent actually made the error and accepted our deposit on the 4 before it was confirmed we could get 4 nights. With this glitch I am sure I could get my deposit back if it is advisable to go somewhere else for the four nights.

Get answers to your questions about Sabi Sand Game Reserve