We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dulini or Londolozi??

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
567 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
Dulini or Londolozi??

We are planning to go back to S. Africa for a second visit. We first went in 2001 and stayed at Londolozi when it was owned by CC Africa, now andBeyond. We stayed in what I now believe is called the granite suites, only six stone suites with their own plunge pools. We had an amazing time during our 4 night stay.

Since then we have gone to five more AB lodges in Kenya and Tanzania.

Question is....how does AB Dulini in Sabi Sand compare to Londolozi, back under the mngmt of the Varty family?

We hope to get to Phinda and maybe even Botswana on is next visit.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,566 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dulini or Londolozi??

These are 2 excellent lodges that you are comparing to one another! If budget is a concern, then I would recommend Dulini, as you can then benefit from one of andBeyond's special offers. Not sure when you'll be travelling, but for 2012 they have the pay 3 stay 4 night special offer, and for 2013 during certain months they have added a pay 4 stay 6 night special offer. If you are planning on going to Phinda as well, then you could benefit from these offers in any combination of andBeyond lodges. Dulini is a beautiful lodge and one that I highly recommend.

If budget isn't an issue, then any of the Londolozi lodges would be a wonderful option! (Not sure which one you are considering?) The Varty family is doing an exceptional job of once again managing the lodges, and of course you would have the benefit of going on game drives on a huge piece of land on which they don't share traversing rights with anyone other than Singita. This means that you wouldn't see as many other game viewing vehicles while out on drive, as you would at Dulini, and you would probably get to spend more time in many of the sightings. Tough decision, as both are great choices!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Edited: 16 July 2012, 05:57
Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
567 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dulini or Londolozi??

Thanks, Tanya...we know AndBeyond very well, as we have been to six of their properties already, and I am booked into two of their lodges in India for this coming March.

I guess I am torn, as we loved Londolozi years ago for all the reasons you mentioned. Maybe I can work it out to do Londolozi and combine with Phinda, and perhaps another AB lodge in Botswana. Just have to work out the travel times. And not waste lots of game drive days!!!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,364 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dulini or Londolozi??

I'm totally with Tanya on this: if budget not an issue, I'd go with Londolozi. Having been to both, with both being excellent choices, I'd give the clear edge to Londolozi, especially when it comes to the game viewing aspect. You could end up with some queuing and time-restricted stays at a sighting at Dulini which probably would be very unlikely at Londolozi.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
567 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dulini or Londolozi??

Thanks....it will be Londolozi for all the reasons you both cited. I forgot about the fact that there are less vehicles around while there. We certainly saw many more safari vehicles than some wildlife while in the Serengeti and Ngorongoro. Ugh....not my cup of tea.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
745 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dulini or Londolozi??

We just got back from Londolozi and had an AMAZING time! I haven't been to Dulini but those were the two we were choosing between as well.. we ended up going with Londolozi and were at Tree Camp- everything about our stay was fantastic. It was great not to have to worry about seeing other vehicles during drives. Unfortunately we did experience some queuing while in the Timbavati at another lodge and I was happy this didn't happen while at Londolozi.

Have a great time!!!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,364 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dulini or Londolozi??

This is not totally germane to your question, but for me planning trips to Africa is a bit like playing chess---I'm thinking several moves ahead.

You say, "saw many more safari vehicles than some wildlife while in the Serengeti and Ngorongoro. Ugh....not my cup of tea." I certainly agree with that, so maybe after you enjoy Londolozi and South Africa, and, if you are thinking of visiting Africa again, give some thought to the Southern Circuit of Tanzania. Guaranteed you won't see many cars or people, the price is right and you'll have good game viewing. Just something to think about during idle time.

Edited: 18 July 2012, 02:53
Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
567 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dulini or Londolozi??

Thanks, Travcarib. Good to know that Londolozi is still great!

Steveb....don't get me wrong. I enjoyed Tanzania immensely. But it was a great turnoff when another vehicle said there was a leopard near the hippos pool in Central Serengeti. We drive there.....no leopard, but 15 vehicles!!!

We did enjoy the people of TZ, and seeing the large herds of the migration, and saw some wonderful wildlife while at Kleins Camp in the northeast near Lobo. I guess I was disappointed that we could not go off road very much at all. And frankly, after 20 minutes in the crater we were yawning.. ( Boy, that sounds snotty, huh???)

Maybe the south Of TZ next time, as you suggest. But I have to tell you, we LOVED South Africa so much more......So you TA folks on this forum....go for it SA is a wonderful place to visit!

8. Re: Dulini or Londolozi??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2013, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Sabi Sand Game Reserve