We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Child friendly safaris in sabi sands or timbavarti

atlanta, georgia
8 posts
Save Topic
Child friendly safaris in sabi sands or timbavarti

Would like to add a safari to a mission trip our family is taking in june. Will be traveling with 3 children ages 6, 12, and 14. would prefer to stay at a lodge at one of these private reserves but am running into issues such as Elephant Plains does not allow the children to do the afternoon bush walk. I am not wanting to spend a fortune and do not need the most luxurious but would like something nice. Would appreciate any suggestions or advice

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Child friendly safaris in sabi sands or timbavarti

Hello,

I doubt that you'll find any lodge which will allow the 6-year-old to join you on a bush walk, primarily for safety reasons. However, many will allow the older two to do bush walks.

Londolozi in the Sabi Sands has a particularly nice children's programme, and the CCA camps (Exeter and Kirkman's in the Sabi Sands and Ngala in Timbavati) also have good children's programmes.

You'll also need to decide whether you feel comfortable giving your children (especially the youngest) anti-malarial drugs. The drugs generally have few side effects but they do tend to be more serious in the very young and the very old. There is a paediatric version of Malarone which tends to work well. Both Timbavati and Sabi Sands are malarial areas -- if you want a malaria-free safari, you'll want to look at the Eastern Cape and Madikwe. CCA has lodges in both areas -- Kwandwe in the Eastern Cape and Madikwe Safari Lodge in Madikwe.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Julian

atlanta, georgia
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Child friendly safaris in sabi sands or timbavarti

Thanks Jullian

Had looked at Exeter Lodge and Ngala but they were a little out of price range (paying for 5 people). We will be driving from JNB which is why we were told to look at these two reserves also (easier to get to I guess). The youngest will actually be 7 when taking the trip-don't know if that makes much of a difference. Someone has also recommended Chitwa Chitwa with children or Royal Legends--any input on these lodges?

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Child friendly safaris in sabi sands or timbavarti

Hello,

Chitwa Chitwa is a nice lodge. Another option would be Kirkman's -- it's also run by CCA but is less expensive than Exeter.

Legends isn't actually in a private reserve -- it's in a concession within Kruger. You'll have better game viewing in the Sabi Sands.

Generally the minimum age for bushwalks is 12 years old, so I'm afraid your youngest will need to sit that one out.

Cheers,

Julian

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
94 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Child friendly safaris in sabi sands or timbavarti

I agree with the prior comments on the restrictions on bush walks with children. However, Thornybush Game Reserve has a very good children's program. Thornybush is in the Timbavati. They have a lodge that is dedicated to hosting families and they have programs set up for children. Had some past clients with children go and they loved it.

atlanta, georgia
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Child friendly safaris in sabi sands or timbavarti

Thanks for your help. Have narrowed it down to kings camp or ngala depending on availability. Any preferences on either of these. This whole process can be overwhelming!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Child friendly safaris in sabi sands or timbavarti

Hello,

I'd vote for Ngala -- you'll see plenty of animals, the guiding is excellent and the children's programme is superb. Ngala Lodge has recently been renovated and is looking very nice.

Cheers,

Julian

7. Re: Child friendly safaris in sabi sands or timbavarti

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 02:15