We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kirkman's vs. Ngala safari lodge

Atlanta
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Kirkman's vs. Ngala safari lodge

My family is going to Kruger in July and I was wondering which camp anyone recomends between the two? cheers-AS

White River...
Level Contributor
98 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Kirkman's vs. Ngala safari lodge

I would personally recommend Kirkmans - lovely camp with a wonderful ambience and excellent game viewing area in the southern Sabi Sand

Atlanta
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kirkman's vs. Ngala safari lodge

Have you been to Ngala? we are a family of 4-all of us grown. Thanks

White River...
Level Contributor
98 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Kirkman's vs. Ngala safari lodge

I have been to both and personally prefer Kirkmans.

Edited: 18 February 2010, 14:27
Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,285 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kirkman's vs. Ngala safari lodge

Maybe you have done this - gone to http://www.andbeyondafrica.com and used the pulldown menu to look at the web sites for each of those lodges. I only mention this to remind you that the properties could hardly be more different. Kirkman's has the feel of a luxurious country estate with an African touch in some of the decor. Ngala is in the bush, and its accommodations much more clearly have an Africa safari 'feel'... Both are rather large camps - not a handicap, really - but it's reflected in the rates. More guests in the property helps lower the cost per guest. As for management, staff, I always recommend AndBeyond. They are tops.

Dave Patterson - Owner, The Africa Safari

Wayzata, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,807 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kirkman's vs. Ngala safari lodge

sugar,

i have been to many &beyond lodges and was at ngala last decemeber 2008. you should use their family villa. it has a private pool and would be affordable with your group size.

are you going for the world cup?

craig beal - owner - travel beyond

White River...
Level Contributor
98 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Kirkman's vs. Ngala safari lodge

If you are wanting a smaller game lodge then have a look at Inyati Game Lodge in the Sabi Sand.

Debbie - Step Into Africa

California
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Kirkman's vs. Ngala safari lodge

I was at Ngala Lodge (not tented) for 8 nights in Sep of 2008. And at Kirkmans for 5 nights in Sep of 2009. (Also to several other SA safari camps every year since 2005). Kirkmans is much better game viewing (the important thing). Mainly because Kirkmans is in the Sabi Sand reserve and Ngala is in the Timbavati reserve. As camps/lodges/accommodations they are both good but different.

The problem with Ngala Lodge is that for -every- game drive we drove to the southern area of Ngala property and that took 20 or more minutes each way. A big waste of time especially in the afternoon when starting a game drive at 4pm and the light is good for photography only until 5pm. Photgraphy is important to me. Also the guide/ranger I had at Ngala was well below average compared to probably 20 other safari guides I've had. My guide at Kirkmans was above average. Ngala Lodge, I won't be going back. But Kirkmans I would.

FWIW here are two trip reports I wrote (for another travel site) on my safaris in 2008 and 2009 that cover Ngala and Kirkmans-

www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp…

fodors.com/community/africa-the-middle-east/…

Finally, you likely need to make reservations ASAP for either. July is not that far away for safari camp reservations. Also remember World Cup is in SA June 11- July11.

Oh, and, we -love- Kruger, been there three times. Great way to start a safari vacation. Go there first then to a private camp like Kirkmans or one of many great ones in the Sabi Sand and Timbavati reserves.

regards - tom

Atlanta
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Kirkman's vs. Ngala safari lodge

Thank you all. This is our first time to Africa, but we do a family trip every year.

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Kirkman's vs. Ngala safari lodge

It depends on what you are looking for. Both camps are quite different in approach, style and location.

Personally I prefer Kirkmans Kamp. It is located in the Sabi Sands which is renowned for excellent game viewing and leopard. We saw 2 leopards when we were there which was very exciting as they are quite rare to spot. Kirkmans itself is built more like a 1920's style homestead rather than the traditional "safari" lodge. I loved this style though. It has 18 rooms, so in terms of the traditional lodge it is a bit bigger, but you don't feel like there are millions of people on top of you the whole time.

Ngala is located more to the north, close to the Timbervati Game Reserve, and is built as more of a traditional safari lodge with individual thatched cottages that offer accommodation. They have tried to create more of a colonial feel with this lodge. The game viewing is good, but we did see more game in the Sabi Sands. Ngala Private Game Reserve has Ngala Safari Lodge and Ngala Tented Camp on the reserve.

Whichever you choose, you can be sure that you will have a good time as &Beyond only provide excellent game lodges!

Have fun!

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,531 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kirkman's vs. Ngala safari lodge

I have been to both Kirkmans and Ngala Safari Lodge more than 10 times each. First of all - both offer excellent safari experiences, food, service & quality of rangers! In my experience I too have to vote for Kirkmans in terms of game viewing, which for me has always been consistantly excellent. July will be a great month at Kirkmans, as they have plenty of river frontage, and as July is during our dry season, plenty of wildlife will be attracted to the river!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Get answers to your questions about Sabi Sand Game Reserve