We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon Lodge for Sabi Sand...need advice

los angeles, ca
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon Lodge for Sabi Sand...need advice

Planning a honeymoon in South Africa in mid Aug. Looking to do the safari portion in Sabi Sand. Have been looking at Lion Sands, Londolozi, Leopard Hills and Ulusaba. All of them appear to have lodges in the range of about $4K (roughly) for a 3 night stay.

Any recommendations based on those, or are there there lodges we should be considering for our stay? Don't mind going over the stated budget if the experience is significantly better. That number was a starting point based on research I've done. Really appreciate any advice on this matter.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,364 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon Lodge for Sabi Sand...need advice

I'd prefer one of the AndBeyond lodges over Lion Sands, Leopard Hills and even Ulusaba.. And their rate for August is less than $4K for four nights! That's because they offer a 4th night free when you pay for 3 in August - using their Mid-Season rate of R4620PP per night (for the 3). They do game drives over the same 40 square miles as Ulusaba and Leopard Hills (tightly managed by all the lodges to keep the number of vehicles on a sighting limited to 3).. You can see the lodges - Exeter River and Dulini - at this site: www.andbeyondafrica.com - using the pulldown menu.

Lion Sands River Lodge has a great feel to it and wonderful dining but the rooms are not of the standard of these two nor the others you asked about. Londolozi is a great wildlife reserve, and its properties are good as well. But the one I expect you are considering is also not as large and comfortable as the two I mentioned.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,533 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon Lodge for Sabi Sand...need advice

The Sabi Sand Private Game Reserve has a number of EXCELLENT honeymoon destinations! Lion Sands, Londolozi & Ulusaba all have more than 1 lodge - which lodges specifically were you considering? If budget isn't an issue, then I would recommend the following lodges as honeymoon destinations: Lion Sands Ivory Lodge, Londolozi Granite or Tree, Sabi Sabi Earth Lodge, Exeter Leadwood, Exeter Dulini, Leopard Hills ....as you can see, there are a number of highly recommended lodges! To be honest, the majority of the lodges in the Sabi Sand are excellent honeymoon destinations - no matter which one you choose, you will have a very special safari experience!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
55 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon Lodge for Sabi Sand...need advice

I agree with Dave - I prefer & Beyond lodges specifically Exeter River Lodge which is quite small (I think they only have 8 suites) and personal, the suites are huge and very well appointed with a luxurious bathroom and a comfy lounge area in the room as well. All rooms also have their own plunge pools, and although you will be there in our winter your room will have a great private outside deck for you to lounge about on which is fantastic - who knows you may even brave the water! The food is good and the service is outstanding. An added bonus is that the game viewing is outstanding and all & Beyond guides are highly skilled and some of the most knowledgeable in the Sabi Sands. I have been lucky enough to have stayed at many of the lodges in the Sabi Sands and I think that as far as a honeymoon spot goes this would be one of my favourite. I hope you have an outstanding time - enjoy... By the way, if you book specifically request a room with a good river view.

los angeles, ca
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon Lodge for Sabi Sand...need advice

Thanks so much for the responses, very much appreciated. Currently looking River Lodge at Lion Sands. But somewhat concerned about the rooms, at least from what I see on the web site. Not sure if it's just a dated picture but some of the rooms at Londolozi and Exeter looked like they were more up to date. Have heard good things about Londolozi Varty Camp and Founder Camp. I think our 3 day safari budget is about $4-5K USD for the entire stay. Any recommendations based on that? Or is River Lodge a good bet?

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,533 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon Lodge for Sabi Sand...need advice

They are busy refurbishing/upgrading the rooms at Lion Sands River Lodge. I saw the end product in one of the completed rooms, and they are beautiful! Definitely a great improvement on the old rooms.

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

6. Re: Honeymoon Lodge for Sabi Sand...need advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2010, 06:21