We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations please! with teenagers!

Hoffman Estates, IL
Level Contributor
514 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations please! with teenagers!

We plan on visiting South Africa in July or August of 2011. I am overwhelmed by the variety of options as well as the prices! Please help with recommendations for a family of 4, including 2 teenagers ages 15 and 13. We require a nice lodge, would love a private viewing deck, but nothing over $2000/day for the 4 of us. We would also love the opportunity to visit a local village and potentially even see a local soccer game. Thank you so much for any help you can offer.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations please! with teenagers!

Most lodges in the Sabi Sand accept teenagers so you're there (only a few don't take children under 16) . Also, at most lodges the teenagers will pay the same as adults, so essentially you are looking at paying less than $500 per person per night. I would suggest you have a look at Inyati Game Lodge. It is reasonably priced (within your budget), situated on the banks of the Sand river, and between the fishing, the floating deck, the huge lawns and the swimming pool I'm sure the kids will keep themselves occupied. Game viewing around Inyati is excellent as always. Star gazing by telescope is an option here too. You have the choice of luxury suites or executive suites, both within your budget. I'll stick with this one recommendation, so I don't confuse you further! Inyati has ongoing outreach projects with local communities, and I'm sure a visit to a local village can be arranged. Bring a soccer ball with you, the kids will have a game going with the local kids in no time! Soccer balls make great gifts / handouts too. Inyati's website is www.inyati.co.za.

Hope this helps!

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

Hoffman Estates, IL
Level Contributor
514 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations please! with teenagers!

Thank you, thank you! I had seen Inyati and it looked wonderful. Will the suites accomodate all 4 of us or will we need 2 rooms? We will definately bring some handouts/soccer balls from our local club that our daughter has played with now for the past four years........we will bring lots of other trinkets, too. No worry to confuse, any and all recommendations will help. We were originally recommended to Singita, which looked like what we wanted, but the price tag scared us away.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,088 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations please! with teenagers!

Are you planning to go anywhere else in South Africa during your trip as well as a private game lodge? Anywhere other than the private reserves in Sabi Sand a budget of R15,000 per night for four is colossal.

Cape Town and the Western Cape, the Garden Route, Kruger National Park, the Drakensberg Mountains, the beaches and game reserves of Northern KwaZulu Natal all can be acomplished comfortably for around R5,000 per day (plus or minus depending on your budget).

Hoffman Estates, IL
Level Contributor
514 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations please! with teenagers!

Thank you so much.......yes, we are planning on spending some time in Cape Town, Arabella maybe...still researching. My husband and I will be celebrating our 20 year anniversary and we consider this the trip of our lifetime and a long way from Chicago! We definately want to celebrate with our children, but the price tag for the safari is tough to swallow. Anyhow, we look forward to seeing Cape Town as well. But our primary focus is the safari. I'm not sure the coyotes and deer in our backyard here outside of Chicago Count! :-) Thanks again for any suggestions.

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations please! with teenagers!

As VDC says you can experience it all if you choose to self drive through Kruger http://www.krugerpark.co.za/ and perhaps experience Hlulhluwe/Mfolozi game reserve sa-venues.com/game-reserves/kzn_hluhluwe-umf… in Kwazulu Natal, ST lucia etc sa-venues.com/game-reserves/kzn_lakestlucia.… a beautiful part of the world. Many people prefer this option and then you can go on to CT. It would be a shame to come all this way and not see Cape Town. www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations please! with teenagers!

Back to your original safari question - another 2 good options are Kirkmans Kamp (Sabi Sand) and Ngala Safari Lodge (Timbavati) - both of these lodges are offering a "pay for 3 nights, stay for 4" special in 2011, which gives a great saving for a family of 4!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Hoffman Estates, IL
Level Contributor
514 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations please! with teenagers!

Thank you all for your suggestions, I am busy with research. Certainly a lot to consider but I don't think we will be disappointed!

8. Re: Recommendations please! with teenagers!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2011, 06:19