We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheetah Plains Lodge...Formally Djuma Bush Lodge

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Cheetah Plains Lodge...Formally Djuma Bush Lodge

Would appreciate comment on units 7 and 8 at this lodge and why the 300R premium for these two units and is it worth it? Thanks in advance.

Edited: 25 August 2010, 23:29
Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,954 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheetah Plains Lodge...Formally Djuma Bush Lodge

When I was there 2 years ago - still Djuma Bush Lodge - two of the chalets were larger, had an outdoor shower. I am pretty sure that these would be 7 & 8 and I stayed in one of them. Here's my video - and the one I am describing starts at about 15" into the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_Cv7i2vpwo

Keep watching, the last half is all wildlife on one game drive. And I have nothing but strong, good recommendations for the experience.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheetah Plains Lodge...Formally Djuma Bush Lodge

Thanks Dave...do all the Chalets at the Cheetah Plains Lodge have a view of the watering hole?

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheetah Plains Lodge...Formally Djuma Bush Lodge

No, unfortunately all of the chalets do not have views of the watering hole!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Zeist, The...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheetah Plains Lodge...Formally Djuma Bush Lodge

The Cheetah Plains is a beautiful lodge and a good place to relax and enjoy the nature. But there were certain issues we were disappointed about.

When we arrived at Cheetah Plains we found out that the room we booked (bath & outside shower) was no longer available so we had to stay in another chalet even though we paid the higher amount when we booked at Djuma. We expected a more professional staff and management for dealing with this mistake made by the lodge.

We asked the staff and management about certain other things and they said it was possible. But after three days we found out that it is not. We had the feeling that it's unwillingness.

Further, it was seldom possible to use the internet.

And the last straw. Our request of a tax-refund at the airport for our purchases at Cheetah Plains was declined, because the VAT-number of Cheetah Plains was expired for three months!

5. Re: Cheetah Plains Lodge...Formally Djuma Bush Lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 November 2010, 12:10
Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,954 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheetah Plains Lodge...Formally Djuma Bush Lodge

An objective review - describing more sour moments than the new owners should accept from the people they have hired to run the place, I would say. My stay at Djuma Bush Lodge a couple of years ago was a joy. Small staff, but all of them gracious and welcoming. No hiccups at all, really.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheetah Plains Lodge...Formally Djuma Bush Lodge

I hope the new management corrects these problems or they will lose business.

sabi sands
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheetah Plains Lodge...Formally Djuma Bush Lodge

The client originally made this reservation with Djuma reservations and did indeed book a room with an outside shower. As we changed reservations systems the correct booking informations was not carried over we checked the client into a standard room and charged a rate for a standard room and not for a room with an outside shower. At the time, the guest was happy with our explanation.

With reference to the staff unwillingness to help I'm afriad they will have to be more specific and we welcome an explanation.

Regarding the internet, we regret that this was an oversight on our behalf and for this we apologise. Unfortunately we were unable to obtain additional time over the weekend however it was back up and running on the Monday morning at 08h00. The guest had internet access on the Friday, Monday and Tuesday.

We have been in contact with our accountants regarding the VAT issue. As a VAT number cannot expire we are looking into what could have caused the complication for the guests.

Kindest regards

Cheetah Plains Lodge Management Team

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
252 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheetah Plains Lodge...Formally Djuma Bush Lodge

I have just returned from Cheetah Plains having stayed 3 nights with a party of 5. We loved every minute of our time there and have nothing but praise for the staff we encountered.

We used the internet twice and found no problem either time....except perhaps a little slow.

The food is out of this world, Henry and his team provide an extensive menu for early breakfast before the safari, brunch at 10.30, high tea (with savoury and sweet snacks) and dinner at 8pm. They even met us out in the bush on our last morning to surprise us with fruit kebabs, muffins, champage, juice, tea and coffee by the side of a waterhole.

We found the service to be very good and the staff very friendly. Our only extra request was packed lunches for our drive to Johannesburg, which they supplied without charge.

The hot stone massage is also highly recommended.

We would not hesitate to return

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
252 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheetah Plains Lodge...Formally Djuma Bush Lodge

and in answer to your original enquiry. Our party had chalets 3,4 and 8 and 8 is definately larger with more wardrobe space and a far larger bathroom than the other two rooms which were identical.

Room 8 had a 2nd entrance via sliding doors to a small seated area which overlooked the bush and was more private than the outside seating areas of 3 and 4.

Finally it had a large outdoor shower which was excellent after the rain on our evening game drive!!!!

I would probably pay the extra, its lovely to lie in bed and look out onto the bush only a short distance away and watch a kudu and bushbuck feeding