We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Sabi Sand Game Lodge

London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Which Sabi Sand Game Lodge

Hi, after spending some time reviewing potential lodges I would really value your opionions on the views we have formed.

We visited Sabi sands approx 5 yrs ago and stayed at Simbambili which was the most fantastic place, with game viewing beyond expectation. We saw everything except wild dogs both fell in love with the Simbabbili leopards.

We are now returning with our two boys who are now older (they will be 11 and 14 when we travel around August/September). Our most important part is the game viewing and we prefer the smaller open sided landrovers with guide and tracker however we have a limited budget per person - having to pay for 4 - and want a game lodge where we can share a room - even if they sleep on camp beds.

Without knowing the practicalities of room layout the places we have looked at are:

Elephant Plains

Nottens

Arathusa

Chitwa Chitwa

Djuma (or is it Cheetah Plains now)

Our questions are

Do they have rooms that would fit us together?

Some have a 12 and over policy - our 11 year old will be two months short of being 12 - do they ever relax this rule?

Do they fit our max budget of 2000 - 2500 rand pp?

Someone mentioned Elephant Plains is fenced in - does this spoil the lodge?

Is anywhere above better game viewing than the others

Have I missed any lodges off my list?

I know this is a long list of questions so I really appreciate and say thank you to those who respond

thanks

Rochat

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Sabi Sand Game Lodge

Great to hear that you're returning to Africa with your 2 boys! First of all, not many lodges will accommodate the 4 of you in 1 room. The only lodge that I have ever known to accommodate a family of 4 in 1 suite, is Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge, which is a great lodge for families, but more expensive than your budget. There are lodges that have inter leading rooms for families, i.e. Londolozi Varty & Founders, but these 2 are also above your budget. Might be that you will have to accept the fact that you will have to take 2 rooms.

Not too many lodges have a 12 and over policy, so this shouldn't limit your choice.

Ele Plains (the lodge itself) is fenced in, yes, but this does not spoil the lodge. Many of the good lodges are fenced in and this will not spoil your safari and/or lodge experience.

Correct, Djuma Bush Lodge is now under new ownership and management and is now known as Cheetah Plains.

You could also consider Ngala Safari Lodge - a great lodge for families, and their "pay 3, stay 4" night special offer helps to reduce the nightly cost of the safari, bringing it within reach of more affordable budgets.

Good luck with your decision, and I'm sure your boys are going to fall in love with Africa!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,413 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Sabi Sand Game Lodge

Hi - Few camps anywhere have accommodations for 4 guests in one unit. There is a 3 bedroom family unit at Serondella in the Thornybush Reserve that would work for you. http://www.serondellalodge.co.za/ And they have a 3-for-2 that is R6000 PP for the 3 nights. Elephant Plains has a family Rondavel but whether it could take 4 of you, don't know. Problem there would be availability!

Inyati has family units with 3 beds but I think a 4th bed could be put in one. You can see one at 1:30 into my Inyati video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pSDyu2eE5U. Here's what was Djuma Bush lodge, now Cheetah Plains. The interior shots are of one of the two units that have the outdoor shower. And the units are not big enough for additional guests but you might make a deal on two units. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_Cv7i2vpwo.

Elephant Plains is not fenced any more than Simbambili was. They are both on the northern boundary of Sabi Sand reserve. And the age of your children will not be a problem.

My suggestion? Serondella, very good wildlife there - Elephant Plains if the Family rondavel would work, or maybe two rondavels if they have them for your dates - Inyati Family suite.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Edited: 14 May 2011, 13:35
Essex, UK
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Sabi Sand Game Lodge

Hi Rochat,

We are staying in the family Rondawel at Elephant plains in September. This is a brief description of it .

The family rondavel has two separate bedrooms joined by a door and each bedroom has its own bathroom. The main bedroom has a queen bed which can be made up in 2 single beds and the second bedroom has 2 single beds.

We stayed there 2 years ago (not in the family rondawel) and had a wonderful time.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,413 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Sabi Sand Game Lodge

OK - That sounds like it would work...

Rochat, you can check availability using the EPlains online booking system. https://www.nightsbridge.co.za/bridge/Search… nothing looks like it would work, contact them directly by email.

London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Sabi Sand Game Lodge

Thanks for your replies - will look at the lodges noted. Inyati and EP seem to be the front runners as they are roughly in the same area where we were previously and we saw everything

We are also looking to add a beach ext on to the holiday and Mauritius is looking favourite due to Aug not being that hot in SA. From what I can see we will have to go back to JNB and fly with a flight being approx £400 one way - however got this cost by running the dates through this Aug coming so may not be a fair reflection - do you have any experience of these flights?

Thanks for your help

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,413 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Sabi Sand Game Lodge

More options for families - not in Sabi Sand - but here's one with 3 Family units that have 2 bedrooms: http://www.simbavati.com/the-lodge.html in the Timbavati reserve.

And there's Naledi in the Balule Reserve with its brilliant new Leadwood Suite. naledigamelodge.com/accommodation/leadwood.h… TA reviews for both are very strong, especially Naledi. The Marula suite there also has 2 bedrooms

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Edited: 21 May 2011, 03:00
McLean, Virginia
Level Contributor
36 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Sabi Sand Game Lodge

We stayed in the Family Rondavel at Elephant Plains last September. It is exactly as described in Peaecey's posting. If available, I think it would be an excellent solution for a family of four under one roof. In addition to being spacious, it is very welcoming and a well-done accommodation.

8. Re: Which Sabi Sand Game Lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2012, 06:20