We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rattrays or lion sands ivory lodge?

ny
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Rattrays or lion sands ivory lodge?

is there a big difference in wildlife viewing? What about travel costs and convience (air)?

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rattrays or lion sands ivory lodge?

There will be a minimal difference in game viewing between Rattrays and Ivory Lodge. Both are top notch lodges with excellent traversing areas. At Ivory Lodge, you will have a tracker on the vehicle and they take up to 6 people per vehicle. At Rattrays, you will most probably have no tracker and they take only 4 people per vehicle. Regarding travel costs and convenience, there is not much difference. If you opt to fly in, flying in to Skukuza for Ivory Lodge or to the Mala Mala airstrip for Rattrays will not make a big difference.

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,552 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rattrays or lion sands ivory lodge?

Ivory Lodge has the most elegant accommodation I've seen in Sabi Sand. Main lodge is sort of small - their emphasis is definitely on the chalets. I had clients there Tues, Wed, Thurs this week. Enjoyed, among other things, watching the elephants come to the river just across from their terrace.

You could flip a coin and not go wrong, however.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

ny
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rattrays or lion sands ivory lodge?

thank you. Is there any problem with insects in the open space between the bedroom and the bathroom at Ivory Lodge?

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rattrays or lion sands ivory lodge?

There's no open space between the bedroom and bathroom, and insects are not a problem (your bed will have a mosquito net over it). The open deck area is between the lounge and the bedroom. The bathroom is connected to the bedroom, and behind it. It opens to a small enclosed courtyard at the back with an outdoor shower. I tend to agree with Dave, Ivory Lodge is a fantastic place. Here is a video I shot of the lodge during my last visit in October last year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmwbVULRtNM

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

5. Re: Rattrays or lion sands ivory lodge?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2012, 05:17