We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Sabi Sands lodge

Vancouver
Level Contributor
27 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Best Sabi Sands lodge

Hi all, looking to book an African trip next September. I definitely want to spend my time between Cape Town and a private lodge in the Sabi Sands. I am torn between what lodge?! There are so many wonderful ones! The two at the top of my list are Simbambili or Sigita Boulders. Thoughts, suggestions???

Cape Town
Level Contributor
733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Sabi Sands lodge

If you have the budget, then definitely Boulders!

The game viewing is fantastic, as are the rangers.

The food is superb and if you enjoy wine, I can't think of a better place to sample the best that South Africa has to offer.

The suites are beautifully designed and huge.

The service is wonderful.

I cannot count the number of lodges that I have visited in South Africa but out of all of them, this is the one I would choose.

Mark September

Small World Tours

Edited: 01 August 2011, 07:49
SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Sabi Sands lodge

I'm sure your research has shown that there are many excellent safari lodges in South Africa. Both Simbambili and Singita Ebony are good choices, though I do agree with Mark, between the two I would choose Singita Ebony.

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Sabi Sands lodge

I agree with Mark and Tanya. Singita is more expensive than Simbambili, and one reason for that is that Simbambili shares a traversing area with a number of other lodges in the northern Sabi Sand. Singita on the other hand has a large tract of exclusive traversing which is only used by themselves.

Choosing a "best" lodge depends on many factors, not least of which is price, and what is considered "best" by one person may not be considered best by someone else with different interests or priorities.

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

Vancouver
Level Contributor
27 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Sabi Sands lodge

Thanks for the replies everyone. I spent a good deal of time looking at several lodges online and again they all look fantastic. The more I look into it I think Singita may be a little out of our price range. The one that has actually jumped into the lead is Lions Sands Ivory. It looks pretty amazing and is priced a little over Simbambili, but not into the range of Singita. Any thoughts or comments on Lions Sands Ivory?

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Sabi Sands lodge

Ivory Lodge is a superb lodge, one of my personal favorites among the luxury high end lodges (though I sometimes prefer a more rustic bush experience). They have huge suites, all with complete privacy and own plunge pool, the food is fantastic, only 6 guests per vehicle (3 rows of 2). It is small and intimate, only 6 rooms. Like Singita, Lion Sands has a vast tract of exclusive traversing area, and they also share a prime traversing area with Kirkmans Kamp next door. Try the sleepout platform in the bush one night if you have the time.

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Sabi Sands lodge

I agree with Onne - LS Ivory Lodge is an excellent choice for a lusury safari! Other good options are Londolozi Tree & Granite, Sabi Sabi Selati Lodge with their beautiful honeymoon suite, the Exeter lodges...to name a few!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direcgt

Edited: 02 August 2011, 08:28
Boston...
Level Contributor
286 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Sabi Sands lodge

Some folks take a "you can't go wrong with any choice" approach, and in large part, that's true: the atmosphere, the game-viewing, and the accommodations at all of the lodges mentioned (as well as many others that haven't been) are excellent. You won't be disappointed with any of them, especially if it's your first time on safari.

But -- and I wish I could underline 'But' a few times -- there is a difference between the very good experience that you'd get at any of the lodges, and the potentially ideal experience that would come from your being matched to the type of experience that's best suited to your priorities. It sounds like you've got a budget that is generous but not unlimited, so the question is how to get the most out of the $$ that you spend. And the answer that's right for you is not going to be the answer that's right for someone else. Maybe your top priority is coming back with dynamite photos or videos of elephants and lions and other game, maybe your top priority is fully relaxing in an ultra-comfortable and magnificent environment, or maybe your top priority is exploring a new area. To make the most of your trip (and the time and money that you're spending on it), those are the types of questions that someone ought to be asking you. Cheers,

Don

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,673 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Sabi Sands lodge

I also think Ivory Lodge is truly special - and its small size is a plus, in my opinion. They have offered a 3-for-2 certain times of the year - and it may be available for your dates.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

9. Re: Best Sabi Sands lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 August 2011, 07:37
Los Angeles...
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Sabi Sands lodge

This is one of my favorite - It truly is a stunning property. It's intimate, modern, chalets are completely private.... It's amazing! If budget permits, then I have no doubt you will be happy with it!

Get answers to your questions about Sabi Sand Game Reserve