We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari

Uckfield, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Safari

We are lookin at goin on safari next year in Kruger Park, is it better to book something when we arrive(Joburg) as a bit reluctant to part with money to relativley unknown safari companies.

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,793 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safari

There is no need to part money with unknown Safari companies. There is a lot of advise on TA wrt reliable Safari companies. You also could do your planning and bookings direct and selfdrive. There are plenty of possibilities to book day drives into KNP or at the camps when staying inside KNP.

Booking your safari and accommodation on arrival only is very much depending on your time of stay.

for accommodation ideas see:

www.travelbook.co.za

www.safarinow.com

www.sanparks.org

Give the forum some more information and I am sure you will receive plenty of advise.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Uckfield, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safari

Thank you, what is the average cost of trips from lodges in KNP, is march a good time

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,793 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safari

March is very nice, not that hot anymore. For game drives, depending on duration, calculate between R600-900 pp plus conservation fees (R192.00 per person per day). Seldrives are always nice as well (only conservation fee paybale)

Other tours and trips (panaorama route) you can easily drive yourself.

Hazyview also offers activities from A(bseiling) to Z(ipline) and a good range of nice restaurants.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,793 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safari

sorry, I may have missunderstood your question.

When staying overnight inside KNP in one of the camps, the game drives are around R200.00 per person, morning or sunset.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,222 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safari

It's not clear whether you are going to KNP or Sabi Sand (the forum in which you posted). I suggest you be more specific about whether you'd like info on KNP lodges or those in Sabi Sand. There's a big difference in cost and experience between the two.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safari

What is the difference between KNP and Sabi Sands?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,222 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safari

KNP (Kruger National Park) is a national park, while Sabi Sand and Timbavati are private reserves adjacent to Kruger NP. Often people refer to Kruger, but it's not clear exactly what they have in mind (i.e., Kruger NP itself or just the Kruger region, which includes the private reserves).

Although KNP is a great park and well worth a self-drive, the lodges in Sabi Sand offer prime game viewing and safari experiences. Your safari vehicle goes off-road and you get very close to the animals, and your lodges generally treat you royally. In KNP you cannot go off-road and on occasion there are minor 'traffic jams' as cars jockey to get the best views. There are rest camps in KNP that offer comfortable and reasonably-priced self-catering accommodations. You save a lot compared to the prices in the adjoining reserves but I think the game viewing is superior in the reserves (though you can have some very good viewing in KNP as well).

When I go to SA I try to combine some self-driving in KNP before going to Sabi Sand.

Edited: 01 November 2011, 01:54
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,222 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safari

Forgot to mention that there are no fences between KNP and Sabi Sand or Timbavati, so animals are free to move about as they please.

scotland
Level Contributor
258 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safari

We are just back from Timbavati - Umlani Bush Camp (www.umlani.com). Accommodation there is in traditional rondavels, hosting is excellent & our ranger (Moses) regularly tracked animals for us to view - an amazing experience. We were there in October (end of their spring) - I'm not sure but that might be similar to the opposite end of the year (end of Autumn)? We saw the big 5 as well as a host of other wildlife (hippo, zebra, giraffe, eagles, vultures, monkeys, babboons, kudu, impala, steenbock, mongoose, squirrels, hyena, wild dogs, etc, etc) most days. The whole experience was incredible!!! Check it out at www.umlani.com

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safari

As Steve pointed out, there are no fences between some of the private reserves adjacent to Kruger (such as the Sabi Sand and Timbavati reserves) and the Kruger National Park itself. For this reason the combined conservation area is often referred to as the Greater Kruger National Park.

There are several differences between Kruger itself and the adjacent private reserves, although the bush and animals are roughly the same. In Kruger itself you can drive yourself around or join a guided open vehicle safari, and generally this costs less than going to a private safari lodge in one of the adjacent reserves. The accommodation at private safari lodges is generally more luxurious and more expensive than what you can expect in Kruger, and as Steve explained the land rovers can go off-road in the private reserves, while in Kruger they have to stay on the roads. A "combo" safari as he suggests is an excellent way to experience the best of both, combining a few nights in the Kruger National Park (either self-drive or with a guided safari company) with a few nights at a private game lodge in the Sabi Sand or Timbavati reserves.

My advice for both options is to book in advance to secure availability. The most popular and best value for money lodges, as well as the Kruger Park's bungalow accommodation, often gets booked up well in advance and I would definitely not advise you to wait until you arrive, as you may end up being disappointed.

I take your point about advance payments to unknown safari companies but if you ensure that the lodge, safari company or tour operator you work through is a member of SATSA (Southern African Tourism Services Association), you have some reassurance that you are dealing with a credible and reliable company, and any advance payment you make will be covered by bonding insurance (if the company defaults, you will be reimbursed). My advice is that you contact SATSA and verify their membership, and also ask for some contactable references (previous clients) before parting with your money.

Good luck and have a fantastic safari!

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

Get answers to your questions about Sabi Sand Game Reserve