We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we do a 3 or 4 day safari in the sabi sands?

es8
San Diego
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Should we do a 3 or 4 day safari in the sabi sands?

We are looking to do a safari in sabi sands (probably Elephant Plains) in July. Is 3 nights sufficient or should would you suggest we stay 4 nights? Thank you for the help.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we do a 3 or 4 day safari in the sabi sands?

It is really hard to answer this question as people are different. Many people think 2 nights is enough in a game reserve, whereas others believe 7 nights is not long enough. I fall into the latter catagory and would stay as long as you can.

Mark September

Small World Tours

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,283 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we do a 3 or 4 day safari in the sabi sands?

I'm afraid you have 'missed the boat' to stay 4 nights unless you choose the Honeymoon Suite. And only July 10, 11, 12 are available for 3 consecutive nights in a Luxury Suite. No more than 2 consecutive nights in a regular Rondavel all month. You can see availability on their web site by using the "Book Online" option.

There will be some reserves offering a 3-for-2 special for July - perhaps in Sabi Sand and certainly in other reserves. Thornybush offers them in all their camps, and I use them for clients with great success.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,529 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we do a 3 or 4 day safari in the sabi sands?

I agree with Mark...when it comes to a safari at a good lodge, then my recommendation would be the longer, the bettter!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Cape Town
Level Contributor
22 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we do a 3 or 4 day safari in the sabi sands?

The Sabi Sands is amazing, it's teeming with game. We saw the best leopard sightings (note the plural) of our lives during our stay there in 2009 and being locals, we have visited many game reserves. I see that you are from very far away, so 4 nights is definitely recommended, as not sure how soon you plan to return!

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,283 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we do a 3 or 4 day safari in the sabi sands?

One more bit of info about 4 night stays - The AndBeyond camps (there are 4 of them in Sabi Sand) offer a free 4th night when you pay for 3. Their Low Season rates end on 20JUNE, so rates in July are Mid Season. And these are all more expensive than Elephant Plains, so that would be another factor to consider.

6. Re: Should we do a 3 or 4 day safari in the sabi sands?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 00:42
Get answers to your questions about Sabi Sand Game Reserve