We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3nts Singita vs 2nts Naledi/one in Exeter/one Hazyview?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
3nts Singita vs 2nts Naledi/one in Exeter/one Hazyview?

I would love some advice on the following itinerary: Jnb to Hoedspruit to naledi, stay two nites then to Sabi Sands Exeter for one nite before stopping in Hazyview to fly out of Nelspruit for Capetown. Pls advise if this would be too hectic or complicated for my family of three -my original plan was to stay at Singita Boulder on my own, but it seems that with the exact same budget, I can bring my family on this itinerary! Can someone who may be familiar with all of above comment on what I can expect, besides the obvious - luxury at Singita vs the company of my loving family:)

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,545 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3nts Singita vs 2nts Naledi/one in Exeter/one Hazyview?

I have done many safaris at Exeter and have also stayed at Singita. I don't think anyone can really answer this question for you. I think it depends on what you want. Do you want to enjoy the wonderful luxury of Singita, or do you want to travel with your family? All of the Exeter lodges are also 5* and very luxurious, so even if you chose that option, you would still be enjoying a lot of luxury.

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3nts Singita vs 2nts Naledi/one in Exeter/one Hazyview?

Thank you Tanya for responding to this difficult question; I guess I am trying to figure out if we would get that unique SA experience staying at Naledi, Exeter River and Abangane before heading to CT or if it would just be too much movement. Also what would be the best way to arrange transport bet these properties if we do not want to rent a car? And lastly, can you recommend a luxury property in the wine country with a beautiful scenery? Thanks again!

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
80 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3nts Singita vs 2nts Naledi/one in Exeter/one Hazyview?

Dear rachclaire,

I would recommend rather staying at either one lodge for three nights (or two even), rather than splitting your stay into two and then one night. I just feel that the difference in landscape and wildlife don’t justify the travelling you would do to get between the lodges.

Exeter is a wonderful safari option and I can highly recommend it but if you can, I would definitely suggest going to Singita. They are considered the most exclusive safari brand in Southern and East Africa and in terms of luxury and guest experience their lodges are superb. But I think its also worth mentioning that they own and protect vast amounts of land and are heavily involved in community projects, so this for me makes them stand apart from the crowd.

In terms of transport, you can either fly between the camps, which is pricey but very convenient! The lodges would book these ‘hops’ on your behalf if you went this route. Alternatively, road transfers are easily arranged – I have used Mfafa Safaris and found them to be very good, but alternatively the lodge that you decide to book can organise this with their preferred supplier on your behalf.

In the Winelands, I would recommend staying in Franschhoek and although there are plenty of hotels to choose from, the standouts with luxurious accommodation include www.lequartier.co.za and www.laresidence.com. The latter doesn’t however accept children in the main hotel, only the villas. There are many other family friendly options but it depends on the ages of your children (also something to bear in mind when looking at game lodges).

All the very best with your plans and enjoy visiting our beautiful country!

Edited: 29 February 2012, 14:06
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3nts Singita vs 2nts Naledi/one in Exeter/one Hazyview?

Thank you Lauren, I appreciate yr recommendations in Franschhoek - La residence looks lovely, and I hope to stay there at least one nite. Do you know a transfer company in that area, I will definitely call Mfafa for to/from the lodge.

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
80 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3nts Singita vs 2nts Naledi/one in Exeter/one Hazyview?

Winelands Experience are really good and are based in Franschhoek itself - http://winelands.travel/. They do both transfers and tours. Otherwise in Cape Town, I have used Jarat Tours and they are really organised. You can speak to Omar on 0027 82 643 2133. Let me know if you need any other advice.

Cape Town, Western...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: 3nts Singita vs 2nts Naledi/one in Exeter/one Hazyview?

I have worked with Jarat Tours for about 10 years whilst at Cape Grace Hotel & One&Only (preferred tour operator at both these hotels) and I would also highly recommend them. They are reliable, professional, and their team of Tour Guides and Chauffeurs are highly experienced and understand personalised service. Jarat Tours offer private guided tours which they customise based on your interests. For more information about the company you can visit www.jaratpremier.co.za . The Jarat Tours website is currently being updated but you can still view for more information about tours www.jarattours.co.za

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,560 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3nts Singita vs 2nts Naledi/one in Exeter/one Hazyview?

Overlooked so far in the discussion is the lack of accommodations for three guests at the Exeter Lodges. Children are allowed, yes. But you don't mention the age of the others who would travel with you, so that could become an issue. If your 3rd person, a child, is a teen, then he/she would have a separate chalet. The good news is that AndBeyond would not charge a single supplement. And since they offer a 4-for-3 all year around, you could have 4 great safari nights and perhaps stay in your budget.

There is a property next to Exeter River - Inyati - that does its game drives over the same lands as Exeter River, and does have large family units. Depending on when you are traveling, it offers a slight discount May through September.

As for transfers - all camps can arrange them. They are perhaps more expensive than you would guess. About $90PP each way between the airport and a camp at today's ROE (rate of exchange) of 7.5 rand to the dollar. The flights mentioned above between the Nelspruit airport and the camps - or between camps - run about R1750PP for each 'hop' - $230 per person. One other option for good wildlife at moderate rates would be one of the lodges in Thornybush. Several of the camps there have family-friendly accommodations. And the reserve is now more than 52 square miles, with strong positive reviews here on TA.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3nts Singita vs 2nts Naledi/one in Exeter/one Hazyview?

Thank you Dave for yr thoughtful reply. Having my teenage daughter stay in a separate chalet was a concern, but she wasn't so excited about SA so now she will stay home. I appreciate all the transfer info and many of yr past posts which I found very helpful (except one video which gave me nightmares - I'm kinda scared of animals, but ok now:) Excited about my trip in Dec..

9. Re: 3nts Singita vs 2nts Naledi/one in Exeter/one Hazyview?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 21:15