We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luxury Safari Resorts - How long is too long?

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
381 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Luxury Safari Resorts - How long is too long?

We are avid travelers but safari rookies :o) I am beginning to start to plan a trip to South Africa. Right now we are planning to hit the Sabi Sand area and then either before or after head to Cape Town. The thing I am not sure about is how long to book for in Sabi Sand. Since many of the resorts offer the stay 3 get a night free I started to think about doing two resorts for 4 nights each. Is that too much though? We are not go go go people (we do that too much in our real life). So when we are on vacation we like to linger and get the full experience. Bottom line it is not a race to see and do as much as we can in the least amount of time. We want this to be a dream trip so we are flexible with the budget. I am currently looking at some combination at resorts such as Londolozi, Lion Sands, Singita, or Ulusaba. Any feedback on how long would be a good but also relaxing trip? Any suggested combo of resorts that would give us a special mix? I have been combing the threads for the luxury resorts so I understand a lot of the pro/con’s of each.

Also one other question. I was surprised to learn Ulusaba seemed to be a notch or two below some of the other luxury resorts. I understand the traversing downside and being close to the villages, but what else knocks it down in your opinion? We have been on their mailing list for years and watched the travel shows that included that resort. So I always assumed it would be a top choice and was a little surprised it is not. The pictures make it look fabulous and in some cases nicer than some of the others above mentioned. So I am just trying to figure out the catch.

Thanks for your feedback. These boards are invaluable!

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
381 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Luxury Safari Resorts - How long is too long?

Fantastic information! I think we might just spend a couple nights in Franshoek.

Have a great day all!

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
381 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Luxury Safari Resorts - How long is too long?

Question if anyone knows???

Do I have to use a travel agent to book Londolozi or the other luxury lodges? I have submitted requests to several of the lodges and end up sent to a travel agent. I am in no way opposed to using a travel agent, I just usually prefer to do the leg work myself. My friends joke I should be a travel agent I pull together such great trips. I just enjoy the process. I also feel far more comfortable putting down a large deposit directly with a lodge rather than with a travel agency 18 months out from a trip. Anyone know if I must use a travel agency?

Thanks!

Edited: 17 August 2012, 14:28
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,568 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Luxury Safari Resorts - How long is too long?

Like you I usually do all the trip planning myself, but I almost always let an agency do the booking for the lodges I've selected and for in country air because I find it's easier and cheaper that way. I don't mean to say that an agency will give you a lower rate than what is given at websites, which might occur, but you don't have to be making separate bank transfers to make deposits and final payments. At about $40 a pop for each bank transfer, the total can add up fast if you've got several lodges to deal with on your own. With an agency I make the one deposit and one final payment.

There are some safari lodges in Southern Africa that don't do their own bookings, but I don't know that Londolozi is one. Judging from their contact page ( http://www.londolozi.com/en/contact/ ) it looks to me that they would work with you. Why not use the page and see what happens?

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
381 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Luxury Safari Resorts - How long is too long?

Thanks Steve!

That was the weird thing, I used this page at Londolozi and was then contacted by a travel agent not the lodge. Looks I need to do some research on a good agent. I am sure the lodges would not recommend someone who is not good, but I prefer to choose my own agent if I must use someone to book.

Thanks for the feedback!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,568 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Luxury Safari Resorts - How long is too long?

Thanks for the info on your experience with Londolozi. Interesting.

16. Re: Luxury Safari Resorts - How long is too long?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 18:18