We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exeter River Lodge or Selati Lodge

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Exeter River Lodge or Selati Lodge

I am having a hard time deciding between the Exeter River Lodge and Selati Camp (honeymoon suite). We are going in mid-September. The cost is not far apart, with the honeymoon suite in Selati being slightly higher. Has anyone been to both? The private patios with plunge pools at Exeter really appeal to me, as does the location on a river. Please send me your opinions whether one is better than the other with regards to game viewing, food or overall feel. Thanks!

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exeter River Lodge or Selati Lodge

I have been to both, and I highly recommend both options! I think for a honeymoon, my choice would be Selati's honeymoon suite. This lodge has a more exclusive, quieter feel to it, and they also don't allow young children, so in my opinion a better option for a special occasion like a honeymoon. I must admit that I do prefer the setting of the rooms at Exeter River, as they are beautiful and have wonderful views of the river! It's a hard choice, because both are excellent lodges!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exeter River Lodge or Selati Lodge

Thank you for your reply, Tanya. Do you remember what the vehicles are like in each lodge? I have read that at some lodges, passengers are three to a seat, meaning someone is squeezed into the middle. This does not sound like much fun...

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exeter River Lodge or Selati Lodge

At Sabi Sabi Selati they limit the number of guests per game viewing vehicle to maximum 6, while at Exeter River Lodge they do often allocate more than 6 guests per vehicle.

Tanya *owner * Africa Direct

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
162 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exeter River Lodge or Selati Lodge

I have also been to both (more than once) and you will have an amazing time at either lodge, as these are my two favourite lodges.

I agree with Tanya - the rooms (double showers!) with their private decks and plunge pools overlooking the river at Exeter are better but there may be more people on your car and the camp can feel busier. Also, game drive times are quite rigid as there are restrictions as to when vehicles can be out.

Selati camp itself feels a lot more intimate and romantic, you have less people on your vehicle and are less likely to meet other vehicles on your game-drives. There is also more flexibility on game-drive timings, so if you are in an amazing sighting, you don't have the same pressure to leave and get back to camp.

I have had spectacular game viewing at both lodges, and the staff at both are superb. Whichever one you decide on, I am sure you will have an unforgettable time.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,492 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exeter River Lodge or Selati Lodge

I could only add that Little Bush Lodge at Sabi Sabi has its own sense of privacy and a special nature I really like. The suite is probably smaller than the Selati Honeymoon suite - but the Hot Tub on the deck is big enough for two, while the outside bathtub at Selati is only big enough for one.. hahaha..

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Edited: 14 March 2013, 21:47
6. Re: Exeter River Lodge or Selati Lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2014, 06:17