We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly or Drive from Sabi Sand to Hoedspruit?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
998 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Fly or Drive from Sabi Sand to Hoedspruit?

Hello, we'll be staying at Singita Ebony and then going to Camp Jabulani. I'm not a big fan of small planes, but am wondering how the drive would be? Is there anything interesting to see along the way? is the road poorly paved or dangerous? Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you!

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
703 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Fly or Drive from Sabi Sand to Hoedspruit?

Hi DaisyM03,

The drive is perfect. The road is pretty good all the way. The only thing to take into account is the driving time which is about 3 1/2 hrs from the Sabi Sands to Hoedspruit. You need to watch the speed limit, as the local traffic law enforcement is out looking to catch speedsters. The country side is fairly scenic and you do drive through some of the local villages and get to see a bit of rural life which may be interesting to see. If you can afford it though, and you don't want to spend the time on the road, I would consider flying. Its only about an hour flight at the most and 100% safe!

I hope this helps!

Regards.

Brett | Owner | Safaris For Me | South Africa

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,521 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fly or Drive from Sabi Sand to Hoedspruit?

To drive from Singita to Jabulani, you would first have to drive TO Singita.. At least I would think so.

But to answer the specific question you asked.. From the gate - Shaw's Gate - that you would use to drive out of Sabi Sand, it's about 35 miles to Hazyview. Turn right. Drive about 55 miles on the R40 highway to the gate into Kapama Reserve, which is also the entry for Camp Jabulani. I think 2.5 hours would be more likely, and you do indeed need to watch the speed limit signs throughout the drive.

It is interesting, and there will be some busy traffic as you pass through or near the towns of Acornhoek and Bushbuckridge. And there will be some stretches of open road, very little traffic.

A reasonable rate for a flight would be either side of R2000PP.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Edited: 24 July 2013, 19:54
Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
452 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fly or Drive from Sabi Sand to Hoedspruit?

Driving is the best option as it is not far and the road is good to drive. You will not be able to drive too fast on some sections as you are driving through rural areas. There is little traffic but there are cows, goats and kids walking and playing along the road.

Regards

Michelle - owner - Cape Town Guide

4. Re: Fly or Drive from Sabi Sand to Hoedspruit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2014, 05:17