We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mala Mala Sale Confirmed

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,535 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Mala Mala Sale Confirmed

Today's News Release announcing that the deal is done has some clues about the future:

"..A co-management agreement will be entered into between the Rattray family (owners of the MalaMala Game Reserve brand) and the N'wandlamharhi CPA for the continuation of this successful eco tourism model. The MalaMala team looks forward to partnering with these communities. It is expected that, over a period of time and through a mentorship and training programme, the directorship of MalaMala Game Reserve will have empowered the local communities to manage the operation to the same high standards that MalaMala enjoys in international tourism markets at present.."

We can hope that this will work. But - Institutional knowledge comes with time. Developing a Management team that can replace those who currently have that knowledge and run Mala Mala may take a very long time. One challenge will be maintaining morale among those on staff who know their days are numbered. Even retaining them may be tough.

We wish all parties the best as they enter this unprecedented partnership.

Edited: 18 November 2013, 13:30
boston
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Mala Mala Sale Confirmed

Hi Dave,

My wife and I were considering going here in March, do you think there be would issues or do you think business will be as usual? Sounds like a great place though this uncertainty is concerning.

And advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

DMMC123

Edited: 12 December 2013, 20:59
Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mala Mala Sale Confirmed

I agree Dave, getting a new management team in place is a massive and lengthy task, managing a reserve like this is certainly no easy feat.

DMMC123 I would imagine it would be business as usual they can certainly not afford to let standards drop. It would be a shame to miss visiting this great wildlife area, perhaps contact the lodge and ask them if there have been or will be any changes before you go. We found the team very accommodating with any queries.

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,542 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mala Mala Sale Confirmed

I don't think that between now and March 2014 there will be any changes in terms of daily running of the MM lodges. I think that the (positive and or negative) effects of this agreement will only become evident over a long period of time.

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,535 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mala Mala Sale Confirmed

That's my thought as well. Which - if we expand that to all lodges - is pretty much what happens. Over time, some lose their lustre, others improve.

boston
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Mala Mala Sale Confirmed

Thank you all for the great advice!

6. Re: Mala Mala Sale Confirmed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2014, 05:16