We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodges with 6 guests per safari vehicle

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Topic
Lodges with 6 guests per safari vehicle

My wife and I are planning a first-time vacation to South Africa and we want to stay at a lodge in Sabi Sand for the safari portion of our trip. After some research, the most important thing to us is to stay at a place where there will be no more than 6 guests per safari vehicle (2 per row). Which lodges would this include? So far, I've identified that Dulini and Lions Sands Ivory meet that criterion. I'm sure of the few dozen or so other lodges, I'm missing some.

There is a lot of information in this forum and unfortunately it is not organized. Is there a website that directly compares the lodges in terms of price, number of guests they take, number per vehicle, etc.

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
122 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodges with 6 guests per safari vehicle

We are booked in to Nottens Bush Camp and Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge and although I can't find it specifically, I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be more than 6 per vehicle. I think all these really top end lodges will have small numbers per vehicle and there are no "middle" seats! Some suites come with a private vehicle.

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
122 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodges with 6 guests per safari vehicle

Just found a thread that may be of interest to you as much talk of numbers per vehicle:

tripadvisor.com.au/…52672801

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
703 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodges with 6 guests per safari vehicle

Hi Dodge_This,

Consider Savanna, Londolozi lodges, Mala Mala lodges, Singita lodges, I think some of the Sabi Sabi lodges, in addition to what you have mentioned. This is a hotly debated topic on this forum with many opinions on the subject.

As far as I know there is no such website that collates and compares all the different lodges. You'll just have to ask on the forum, or speak to somebody in the industry with experience around the different lodges who can answer your questions and advise you.

Regards.

Brett | Owner | Safaris For Me | South Africa

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,363 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodges with 6 guests per safari vehicle

Some of the agents have sites with price brackets... I don't know of any that show any sort of detailed comparison between the lodges. I can add a couple of excellent lodges that limit the number of guests to 6 in a vehicle - Lion Sands Tinga and Lion Sands Narina. These are in a private concession inside Kruger Park, just across the river from the Sabi Sand reserve. Luxury chalets, very strong wildlife viewing.

FYI, Mala Mala Rattray's only have 4 guests in a vehicle. I have clients headed there early next month, and that was one of the reasons they chose it. They are at Dulini first, then Rattray's.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Edited: 04 December 2013, 12:06
Bedfordview...
Level Contributor
50 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodges with 6 guests per safari vehicle

Hi just to add at Sabi Sabi it is only Earth Lodge that has a max of 6, also Leadwood Exeter which is not listed above

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,533 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodges with 6 guests per safari vehicle

I have stayed at all of the Sabi Sabi lodges on numerous occasions (more than 50 different visits) and not once were we more than 6 guests on the game viewing vehicle. I think that they really do try to limit to maximum 6, unless they have a group who exceeds the number and would like to be together on the drive.

Ngala Safari Lodge and Ngala Tented Camp also limit to maximum 6.

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Weybridge
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lodges with 6 guests per safari vehicle

I agree with Tanya, in all the many, many game drives that I have done, I have only ever been out with just 6 people - the ONLY exception was my stay at Kapama River Lodge, where there were 9 on the vehicle, but this is a much larger lodge so I guess that was to be expected.

Tracey - Owner/Director, Travel Butlers

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,481 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Lodges with 6 guests per safari vehicle

Hmmm, the cynical side of me says I would think that the management at most camps would be smart enough not to squeeze visiting tour operators into vehicles with more than 6 people. It wouldn't be very good marketing for them, would it?

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,533 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lodges with 6 guests per safari vehicle

Point well taken, but the vast majority of my visits to Sabi Sabi have been in my private capacity as a full paying client. Many of these visits were even made before I became a tour operator, so in Sabi Sabi's defence I have to say that I think that they really do limit the number of guests per vehicle to maximum 6, regardless of whether the guests on the vehicle are from the travel industry or not.

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,481 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Lodges with 6 guests per safari vehicle

Fair enough. I think it would be in their favour if they made this policy official. It's clearly something that is of concern to quite a few people, and understandably so.

I'm following these posts because, while I haven't been to Sabi Sands I might well consider it at some point and this issue of numbers in a vehicle is important to me. I find it quite interesting as in the areas I usually go on safari, it's pretty much unheard of for camps to use the middle seats. It's not something I ever thought about even questioning until I read some of these posts.