We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Having diffuculty on deciding where to stay

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
Having diffuculty on deciding where to stay

Hello, I looking at booking a 3 day stay for my honeymoon and have narrowed it down to these choices - Lion Sands River Lodge, Dulini, Exeter, and Elephant Plains

Which would you guys recommend as this is probably our once in a lifetime chance to do this and we want to make the right decision. Im also open to other suggestions on where to stay.

Thank you all in advance!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
3,912 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Having diffuculty on deciding where to stay

Of the ones you list, Dulini is the one I've visited. You would not go wrong with it. It has the least number of units and will give you great intimacy. The accommodations are very welcoming and the guiding, at least when I was there, was excellent.

Edited: 01 March 2014, 02:50
Mytmoss
Level Contributor
432 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Having diffuculty on deciding where to stay

I can highly recommend Lion Sands not only for the fine lodge and great food, but for the outstanding safari opportunities. The lodge has traversing rights for the two major rivers, the Sabie and Sand rivers. This gives you tremendous opportunities for wildlife viewing. Their rangers also have great expertise. You would not go wrong with any of the choices but based on my personal experiences in my 8 trips to Sabi Sands, this is the best.

Mike

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,536 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Having diffuculty on deciding where to stay

Elephant Plains is of course much cheaper than the other 3 lodges that you are considering, and if you are looking for a lower priced lodge that offers excellent value for money, then you can't go wrong with EP! If cost is not too much of a factor, and you are happy to go with one of the more expensive options, then my recommendation is without a doubt Dulini. The fact that they limit the number of guests per game viewing vehicle to maximum 6 is something important to keep in mind when choosing a safari lodge in the higher price range.

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Having diffuculty on deciding where to stay

Thanks for all the replies ! Another thing, is the weather a lot differant from beginning of September to beginning of October?

We will either be going beginning of September or beginning of October , thanks !

Mytmoss
Level Contributor
432 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Having diffuculty on deciding where to stay

It will start getting hotter in October and you will have a slightly greater chance of rain but it is considered still to be in the dry season. You will also see more migratory bird species in October than September.

Mike

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
3,912 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Having diffuculty on deciding where to stay

Throughout the time periods you mention weather should be fine, with lows about 60F and highs around 80F and little rain. If you've got Cape Town as part of the trip, I'd lean to end Spet./beginning Oct. so the odds of finer weather down there get better.

Edited: 01 March 2014, 15:08
Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Having diffuculty on deciding where to stay

So It looks like Dulini is most likely booked for our dates now, but they have offered us Savanna Lodge. Is this also similar to the Dulini and can anyone recommend this over the Lion Sands?

Thanks!

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4,851 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Having diffuculty on deciding where to stay

Hi Mambo

Both September and October are great game viewing months, so I would just go when it suits you and when you can get a booking. The nights and early mornings can be very cold on open game drive vehicles thanks to the wind chill factor, but will be that little bit better in October.

What a shame Dulini is booked up, the atmosphere and intimacy of the lodge make it absolutely ideal for a honeymoon, we have always met honeymooners there, but as you know there are plenty of options.

If Savannah has availability I would most definitely consider this as an alternative to Dulini. It is located on the southern border of the western sector and traverses the exact same land as Dulini and the other lodges in the west so your game viewing will be the same. We have traversed on Savannah land many times. The leopard activity in the area lately has been amazing, and you should get some close up time with some of these gorgeous and elusive creatures.

Also importantly, Savannah [like Dulini] have their Land Rovers set up to seat only six guests, which is not only much much better for taking photographs, it also means there are only two people per row, so you never have to share your seat with a stranger. This is very important to us, plus of course much nicer for honeymooners.

Have a look here for more information..

http://www.savannalodge.com/

And here for the amazing reviews..

tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g471846-d621…

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,536 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Having diffuculty on deciding where to stay

I agree that Savanna is a good alternative to Dulini.

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,416 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Having diffuculty on deciding where to stay

Savanna is terrific. And (like Dulini) has a 4-for-3. Can you stretch your stay to 4 nights? Lion Sands Superior Luxury suites would be another good choice..chalets 20 & 21 are especially private. And, speaking of Elephant Plains - their Luxury chalets are one of the best values I know of at any lodge, anywhere. Private, spacious, really nice.

If October works for you, I would choose that over September.

Dave Patterson - Owner - TheAfricaSafari

Edited: 08 March 2014, 04:14