We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sabi Sand again or Tanzania

glasgow
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
3,893 posts
425 reviews
Save Topic
Sabi Sand again or Tanzania

We 've been to Arathusa and Inyati, loved both and saw incredible wildlife sights.We're planning a safari for next year and I wanted to ask if anyone had also been to Tanzania as I'm keen to see the Serengeti, the crater, possibly Selous or Ruahu.The savannah grasslands and scenery are the draw, though I don't want to have a reduced experience re.the wildlife which is my husband's big concern.

Has anyone been to both SS and Tanzania and can give me their opinion on pros and cons ,comparing the two?

glasgow
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
3,893 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Sabi Sand again or Tanzania

Thank you for these considered comments...very helpful and I think confirming some of my own thoughts. SA seems great value compared to everywhere else plus generally more guaranteed sightings up close.

But the savannah and crater landscapes are a big draw and if we go, it will have to be on the basis that encounters will be different.Dont think we'll manage Tanz.and SA unfortunately on the same trip.

Many thanks again.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Sabi Sand again or Tanzania

I've been to both, and I love both. There are significant differences.

Tanzania is a more seasonal destination, and the migration is obviously a central theme that determines the best areas to go to during different times of the year. Best to avoid the long rains (Feb to April). The northern circuit (Tarangire, Lake Manyara, Ngorongoro Crater and the Serengeti) can get very crowded in peak season, it is not uncommon to find 20 vehicles crowding around a big cat sighting. By contrast, the southern circuit (Selous, Mikumi, Ruaha, etc) is rather quiet, both in terms of tourists and often also in terms of general game viewing. In Tanzania, most safaris are conducted by operators based in Arusha who use closed safari vehicles (typically Landcruisers or minivans with a pop-up roof). For me, this is a downside as I prefer the open safari vehicles used in the Sabi Sand, except when driving through a pocket of tsetse flies, then the closed vehicle comes in handy. Tanzania charges in USD and is significantly more expensive than South Africa as a safari destination, as MGM pointed out. On the plus side, you can expect to see greater numbers and herds of animals in the Serengeti than in the Sabi Sand. However, unless you are going to one of the expensive lodges on private concession or tribal land, you will not be going off-road as they do in the Sabi Sand. Even night drives are less common, and only conducted outside of the National Park areas. Is it worth the visit? Absolutely. The vast open plains and abundance of animals are unmatched anywhere else in the world - it will certainly not be a disappointing wildlife experience. If you've been to Kruger and Sabi Sand, there is no reason why you shouldn't consider a visit to Tanzania for your next trip.

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

glasgow
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
3,893 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Sabi Sand again or Tanzania

Such good honest advice and opinion...really has helped me focus on our 'dilemma' (a nice problem to have,I know).

I'm not convinced yet about these pop up roof vehicles as we loved the open Toyotas.I have to say I only once ever saw a fence on the very last day of our last trip 2 years ago when we were chasing wild dogs.The area is so vast,with so few vehicles (even during peak season) that it feels very wild.That's been another issue....everyone says how 'wild' Tanzania is yet 20 vehicles round a lion , to me, must reduce that feeling so much.As must the hordes of people.We just didn't have that in SS so the 'management' of it all actually added so much to the experience.

Photography was superb too given how up close we got to the lions and leopards which we saw every day.Habituated animals to me meant relaxed ones that just made our viewing of them out of this world.Kenya has been mentioned but I've never fancied it due to the instability ,especially now, in what must be a beautiful country.

Anyway, all of the above points - which have been mentioned in such considered replies - I'm casting to one side as the great plains call and with them, a new experience.I love landscape so much and these wide open spaces, big skies and hopefully dramatic light are such a draw I do feel the need to see them.We have fallen in love with what we have seen of Southern Africa and its people (including Namibia) and I hope Tanzania will just deepen that. I'm a huge fan of Out of Africa and even if it means more skittish wildlife, I have to see somewhere that most resembles that!

Many, many thanks again for taking such time to share your thoughts with me.If you're ever in my neck of the woods I hope I can be as helpful.

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
5,031 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Sabi Sand again or Tanzania

Scotlandmac

Great decision and I completely understand your thoughts.

Many come to the relatively small private reserves and wonder why they do not see the wide open plains and 'Africa tree' dotted savannah.

Knowledge is powerful and so necessary when planning such a journey, how wonderful that we now have the ability to share our opinions and thoughts like this.

I hope to see those plains one day myself.

Have a wonderful trip

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Sabi Sand again or Tanzania

Fortunately Tanzania seems free from strife. AU today launched airstrike in Somalia using Kenyan jets. With travel warnings from various Western Govts tourism in Kenya is feeling the strain even though their safari area(s) still considered as safe.

16. Re: Sabi Sand again or Tanzania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2015, 05:16