We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sabi Sands on a Budget… Cheetah Plains or Tydon Safari Camp?

leeds
Level Contributor
15 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Sabi Sands on a Budget… Cheetah Plains or Tydon Safari Camp?

I am trying to decide between staying at Cheetah Plains and Tydon Safari Camp.

The budget is a bit tight so Cheetah Plains is more expensive but don't mind paying the extra if this has a bigger traversing area and better chance to see leopards, lions, etc.

Does anyone know where Tydon Safari Camp take their game drives and what traversing rights do they share with other nearby lodges?

All advice is welcome.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sabi Sands on a Budget… Cheetah Plains or Tydon Safari Camp?

Just to make your decision harder,. have a look at Elephant Plains and Umkumbe - both a little less expensive than Cheetah Plains.

leeds
Level Contributor
15 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sabi Sands on a Budget… Cheetah Plains or Tydon Safari Camp?

Thanks Susan, Elephants Plains has no availability and I've been told Umkumbe has only a small game area and no traversing rights.

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,571 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sabi Sands on a Budget… Cheetah Plains or Tydon Safari Camp?

Between Tydon and Cheetah Plains, I most definitely recommend Cheetah Plains. Well worth the extra $.

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,076 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sabi Sands on a Budget… Cheetah Plains or Tydon Safari Camp?

Cheetah Plains. Well priced for what it offers.

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
5,278 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sabi Sands on a Budget… Cheetah Plains or Tydon Safari Camp?

Tydon is located adjacent to the Sabi Sand Gate, not actually inside the reserve. IMHO being inside would be an advantage as you are already closer to the wildlife concentrations, they tend not to be near the perimeters. I too would be very interested to know exactly where Tydon take their drives, as I have never seen one of their vehicles at or near any of the many many sightings I have enjoyed in the Sabi Sand, probably due to the queueing system. Traversing rights do vary enormously and the bigger the better.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sabi Sands on a Budget… Cheetah Plains or Tydon Safari Camp?

Umkumbe may not have traversing rights but the animals do! I saw the "big 5" every day of my 3 day stay and the views over the Sand River are to die for. There is a constant variety of animals passing everyday - beautiful to watch as you while away the hours between game drives.

New Plymouth, new...
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sabi Sands on a Budget… Cheetah Plains or Tydon Safari Camp?

I totally agree with smith_susans comments on Umkumbe - we stayed at Tydon for 5 nights in 2012 and 6 nights in 2014 - 3 of which were at the Bush Camp which is right in Sabi sands. Tydon has traversing rights on Umkumbe - when we were there they were the only other vehicle there apart from Umkumbes 2 vehicles so no queues and often only one vehicle at a sighting.Both trips we saw the Big 5 and in 2014 cheetah, wild dogs and many more, some of which were in Kruger. On our way into the Bush camp we saw leopard and on the way out the Charleston pride of lions - it all depends on where the animals are. We had 6 quality leopard sightings and good lion sightings (some in Kruger) along with many many other wonderful times with so many animals and so close up.

Consider the cost of transfers if you are not self driving as Tydons packages include these along with reserve entry fees.

Edited: 11 July 2014, 08:29
Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,039 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sabi Sands on a Budget… Cheetah Plains or Tydon Safari Camp?

Nice to hear all these positive comments about Umkumbe - which is the reserve where Tydon does its game drives, too. The Tydon Bush camp is an authentic tented camp (but has A/C, too!) while Umkumbe has a small variety of accommodations, all of which look out on the Sand River. Both are good value for money for game viewing, for sure.

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
5,278 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sabi Sands on a Budget… Cheetah Plains or Tydon Safari Camp?

This is interesting as said above I had wondered where Tydons traversed, never having seen their vehicles, good to know. I do like the fact that they also go to Kruger to add to the experience and sightings as mentioned by Colin and Janet above.

10. Re: Sabi Sands on a Budget… Cheetah Plains or Tydon Safari Camp?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 03:16